Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How are the new SWR amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Jacobs, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    ...now that some time has passed since FMIC bought the company? After ten years my Workingman's amp has had it and I'm wondering if I should look for an old SWR or buy a new one.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Personally, I stick with SWR Engineering.

3. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    I don't think FMIC has had SWR long enough to have an impact on design or engineering - and I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be adverse. The marketing is likely the biggest impact that you will see, in terms of what products they will offer going forward vs. the Fender lines. There are many SWR loyalists whom Fender surely covets.

I have seen some favorable reviews on the Workingman 210C combo (a 4004 head and WM 2x10), though I am not sure how long it will be offered given that Fender has the Pro 400 combo in the same segment.

If you are looking at heads, you ought to audition the 350x/550x/750x "pro" series. I thought the 350x was impressive - great tone IMO, and it was notably quieter than comparable Ampegs.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    FMIC has had SWR just long enough to have
    an impact on customer service..., negatively.

5. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    Any more comments? I was thinking of buying a Super Redhead

Thanks

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The SWR Redhead is great.
    Solid.
    Same design for years.
    An industry standard combo bass amp.