1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How are the other Squier Vintage Modifieds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afinalfantasy, Mar 4, 2008.

1. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I already have the jazz one and love it, but with my current funds I cannot afford an actual fender. I'm thinking about getting the Precision model and the Fretless Jazz as well. On top of that, I'd like to mod them to my specifications.

Would this buy a wise decision or not?

2. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Yes - I have the fretless and love it. I've heard the P is also very good. Plus you can swap necks if you ever get bored. :)

3. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    However, on the other hand, for the price of all three you should be able to deal a new USA-made Fender J or P.

4. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    The thing is I would like some variety, if that makes any sense to other people than me.

I'll eventually buy myself an American made and maybe even one day a CIJ one, but the ones where I live are quite expensive, even for Canadian prices. Like $1200 and over for an American made one

5. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    The vintage tele bass is truly outstanding - especially for the price.

6. Farmer Dan

Farmer Dan

Feb 23, 2008
    Derry, NH
    The Vintage Modified TB Precision Bass was hanging in my local music store and I thought it looked great, so I figured I'd try it out. I thought, it being a Squire and all, the action and such would suck and I'd hate it. It played pretty well for a $280 bass.
    I figured I'd plug it and it would sound like crap. It didn't.
    I bought it and it now gets a lot of action. I like how it looks, sounds and plays. And the fact that it wouldn't cost a lot to replace if something happened to it is a bonus. You can see it at www.thepopfarmers.com.
    Cheers!

7. As soon as Dubya sends me my check in May the VM Fretless Jazz is mine! Seriously sweet, effortless to play, priced just right. What's not to like?:D

8. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I agree with your perspective 100%! Buying a single American bass (I'll probably never buy one anyway) won't give you fretless AND J AND P. Diversity is a good thing!

9. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I love the look of the white VM Precision, but it's made of bloody basswood! :( I dunno, I just hate basswood bodies on a bass. For guitars it's fine (preferably with a maple top to a some brightness) but meh. For a bass, not so good.

10. shirky

shirky

Apr 7, 2000
    Reading, PA, USA
    I own the fretless, and I'm very happy with it.

Cheers.

11. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    How can you say that, it's called BASSwood for crying out loud.

:D

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I have a Squier VM fretless and I love it. The fit and finish is unlike anything I've ever seen for the price.

13. Actually its Agathis if you check the specs. Same as the Fretless Jazz. The TB is basswood with Ash veneers. Besides, nothing is wrong with Basswood, it can be pretty good as a tone wood. I'm sure theres at least a few EBMM Bongo lovers here will agree.

14. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Juggernaut -- There are different types of basswood -- American basswood being the best. I am pretty sure Music Man are using the better stuff, so that's fine, although I still think it's much better suited to guitars. Squier are not using American basswood, you can guarantee it. Regarding the listed specs, I've seen basswood stated on numerous sites. I don't know who's correct, but agathis is not exactly desirable either. Not being a tonewood snob, I just haven't played an agathis instrument that I thought sounded great. For the record, I've played nothing but basswood guitars for the last 21 years (Ibanez RG's).

Bill -- I'm sure you know it's pronounced like the fish, "bass". Like ass with out a B.

Asswood. :D

15. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    qft

16. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    LOL! :D

17. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I don't know too much about Basewood or basswood, but my SVM fretless is agathis, and it sounds awesome. As I said, I have no problems gigging it whatsoever alongside my Fender MIA P basses. I think the SVM Telebass looks, plays, and sounds great (I don't own it but I've played about 5-6 different ones in stores, and would like to own it), and from all accounts so too do the 70's Jazz and the white P bass, which I have also never played but personally just do not want. I think the OP's strategy of buying all three to cover bases is sound, if what he is going after is variety and flexibility on a budget. If he were going for one main instrument, then I'd strongly suggest Fender MIA, MIJ, MM, G&L, etc. But not because of the wood that the body is made of, but because of the sound, build quality, electronics & metal components quality, predictability, community support, options for finishes, etc. The actual wood it is made of is, IMHO, just a feature that is secondary to all of these criteria.

18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    From what I have read, Agathis is a terrible tonewood for guitars, but on bass its actually not that bad, giving a very similar sound to mahogany, at an extremly low price, due to its uselesness on guitar.

Ps, I have the VM fretless and love it!

19. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    not to hi-jack the thread, but since all are mentioned here, and most have played them, what is the weight like on the white VM Precision? I have had a couple of the VM Jazz's in my hands and both looked very nice, played ok, but were very heavy ... thanks

20. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The VM Precision I had was quite light. It was actually lighter than my Aerodyne Precision.