1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How are these american fender hot rods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CygnusZero, Nov 7, 2018.

1. CygnusZero

CygnusZero

Oct 20, 2017
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I can’t imagine it being $2,000 good.
    Played one way back in 2016 but it wasn’t memorable enough for me to write about it here. Could be me, of course. Pretty sure it was in the $700 price range.
    Plenty of people like the Sea Foam Pearl PJ...quite a lot written about it here.

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
  4. CygnusZero

CygnusZero

Oct 20, 2017
    Sorry I found that sea foam PJ. I kinda hate the color. Not that I would spend 2k just to get that sweet red with rosewood fingerboard and block inlays.

jd56hawk likes this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
  6. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
  7. CygnusZero

CygnusZero

Oct 20, 2017
    Sorry I should have mentioned that Im definitely looking for something new. Never owned a PJ before and would love to have one, but ive never been too nuts about buying used instruments if I can avoid it.

8. CygnusZero

CygnusZero

Oct 20, 2017
    I can only find one video on the hot rod i was looking at, and of course the guy is slapping. Cant stand demos like that. Bass is beautiful though.

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    There’s always the G&L SB-2 but it’s not your average PJ. AD1-EC39-B-2893-49-DF-A4-A6-A0-CE70-D67-A91.

10. CygnusZero

CygnusZero

Oct 20, 2017
    Heh I have a G&L L2000. Its incredible. Never tried those G&L PJs. Whats different about it from other PJs?

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    MFD pickups, not quite traditional...but very nice with flatwounds or tapewounds.

redwingxix likes this.
  12. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Sweetw@ter was blowing them out during their Black Friday event about 5 years ago I think, they had the CAR and 3TSB, for around $1100. They are good basses, but as stated above, I dont think they are $2200~ good.

13. CygnusZero

CygnusZero

Oct 20, 2017
    Oh yeah Im definitely NOT spending 2k on this. I was more just posting it as something that im interested in, the style of it, not necessarily this exact bass. Im too late to the party on this one. I think they are pretty rare now so I dont think ill find one for under 2k, like, ever. Lol

14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    basspraiser, Kukulkan61 and Skillet like this.
  15. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ghastly likes this.
  16. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    I tried it couple years ago and walked out of the store with the Jazz Elite V. Never looked back although I would sure like to have a Fender PJ in my collection.

It played all right but not Elite V all right. It felt a bit confusing looking at a jazz body and playing on a jazz neck while having a split coil pup, I would much prefer to have it the other way - pbass PJ.

17. I dont know about the 70s hot rod version but I have the 60s hot rod vintage precision also a p/j bass and it is amazing. It blows my 2004 Fender deluxe out of the water in my opinion which was my old favourite bass till I got this one. At 1200 Canadian (used) it felt like a steal. I love the compound radius neck and the stealth a sting retainer. It is light and sounds amazing. And to be honest the only bridge pickup solo I like out of all my two pickup basses.

All in all it is a great bass. I like to think it is just one step below Fender custom shop quality. But I have never played really high end basses so I have no clue about that really.

18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Passive: Fender Aerodyne Jazz

Active: Fender Reggie Hamilton Signature Jazz

4sight and DrThumpenstein like this.
  19. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    The new Fender Elite PJ’s are unreal. Took mine to a gig last night and had multiple bass players gawking over the tone...then they sat in and played it. They were gushing over it.

Both the passive mode and active mode are incredibly musical; I’m not sure there is a tone I can’t get.
    497DF853-B6C6-4088-A18F-773124E01AFA. D0F675E6-997C-4631-BF5F-B320FF6D9A44.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes, these are great basses. My only problem is that Fender does not make a five string version.

faulknersj likes this.