1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How are these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Deacon, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I doubt it. However, it you want it better hurry!

2. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Hmm...why should I hurry?

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    These things rarely pop up, and when they do, they sell quickly. Very quickly.

4. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Hmm...ok. Thanks!

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    If i had the scratch I'd buy it, and I've never seen one in blueburst before.

Damn being poor...

6. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Is it worth the money?

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Yeah they are. They're great basses and kind of rare.

This is one of the 2 Fender Precisions I want, but don't have. The other one is the A/E Precision Bass.

8. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    And it shouldn't sound too muddy?

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The old school Telebasses had that reputation, and I know that this one isn't. The bridge pickup really helps that bass cut through. :)

10. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    So, obviously, you know a lot about these. How do they sound? Like, any bass you can compare it too? I immediately thought of an EB-3. Do they sound like a jazz with a lot of low end? Am I even close here? Haha

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I like this bass a ton, a friend of mine had one in Sunburst and would never sell it, and I've since lost touch with him. I used to borrow it a lot.

Think of a P/J bass, but the P pickup is a lot thicker and fuller. This bass sounded great through 10s and a tube amp, but then again, what doesn't! The neck pickup doesn't sound anything like the EB series from Gibson. It sounds like a telebass, only slightly deeper, due to the hollow body construction.

It sits in the mix very well, and I usually had the Jazz pup turned off. If I had a thick mix to cut through, on went the jazz pickup. Its also good for some Jacoesque tone if you turn off the front pup. Then again, it is a little bit deeper than a standard jazz bass sound.

If I wasn't $1000 in debt, I'd snatch this baby up in a heart beat. But then again, if I wasn't a grand in debt, I'd put myself back into it buying this bass.

The one I played was usually strung with DRs if I remember correctly, but don't quote me on this.

Good for country, rock, and blues, and jazz, since thats what I used it for. :p

12. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Can it get a little growly?

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm not sure what you mean by growly, since everyone has different definitions, sorta like how everyone has a slightly different definition of punchy. lol

14. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Um like, isnt just flat sounding. Like for some reason, I keep thinking it may sound like an upright bass.

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Nope, you're basically looking for grind I think. This bass has it, just not bucket loads of it.

Whats your amp set up?

I used tp play mine through an SVT3 Pro

16. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Where's the money when you need it?

17. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    Man, that looks awesome.

18. ASH PHIPPS

ASH PHIPPS

Apr 28, 2008
    Gettysburg
    I'd pimp out my mom, grandmom (r.i.p.) and the neighbor lady for that bass.....uhm yea it's muddy, now give it to me!
    i'll plug it into my trident 4t and make you cry that you thought twice about it.....is it still for sale?

19. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Ok, I just bought it. This thing looks SWEET.