How are you? Are we a happy bunch?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Dec 13, 2002.

1. 10

15 vote(s)
  2. 9

15 vote(s)
  3. 8

26 vote(s)
  4. 7

13 vote(s)
  5. 6

9 vote(s)
  6. 5

8 vote(s)
  7. 4

5 vote(s)
  8. 3

10 vote(s)
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
  10. 1

3 vote(s)
  11. 0

6 vote(s)
  1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Since learning about Bigfeet's ordeal, I can't help but think that not only do we often misinterpret the nature of people's posts due to the flatness of the medium, we also have no clue as to how most of us feels emotionally.

How do you feel generally? Please check the appropriate option. Remember that this is a very public medium, so you might not want to get into specifics.

I know this is kind of a risky idea for a thread, so I hope we can keep it mature and tasteful.
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Here's my answer.

...but I'm not givin' up!

Right now, I'm floatin' between 2 and 3, with a full expectation to be up around 8 or 9 in the near future. And when I get there, I'm gonna STAY there.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im doin pretty good, a 7-8 I would guess.

I would feel like a 10 if my band wasnt the way it is right now.

No one is being as serious as I had hoped when I joined. They used to be really hard working, with at least 2 practices a week, and a show or two every weekend, so when I found out they needed a new bassist, I joined.

Now theyre slacking. We restarted from scratch, and only have 6 completed songs, and have had 2 shows since August (when I joined).

I guess besides that I have no complaints.

I have a wonderful girlfriend and great friends who are all really carring, and am looking forward to college. I think Im doing pretty good and hope everyone else is too.

PS: The Navigator preamp Im getting doesnt hurt either!
  4. It varies from about 1-6, I put 3 right now because it is so damn warm outside that I can't play ice hockey in the middle of December --- which is the only thing that keeps me sane in winter.
  5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    For the record, I should clarify that I want to know how happy people feel in general, not at this particular time.

I sure envy the people who are a 10 most of the time. Maybe they could share their secret?

To me, a 10 is that moment of bliss where there are no real problems. 10 is what I strive for and I'm glad to not be a 10 all the time because there's no greater feeling. If 10 is all you have, then 10 = 0.

THere's no such thing as a permanent orgasm and I'm sure there isn't a person in the world who'd want it.
  6. You can't have joy without being miserable.

With that, I'd say I'm generally about 8 to 10. :D
  7. I'm gonna be frank here:

I am a healthy, white, upper-middle-class American male attending a prestigious university. I have a sweet apartment, a bitchin' car, some very nice bass equipment, a fulfilling part-time job that pays extremely well compared to other local employment, parents who love and support me, and an abundance of free time.

Given that my quality of life exceeds that of 99.9% of the world's population, for me to put down anything lower than a 9 would be the utmost in hypocrisy.
  8. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
    We people on the pavement looked at him:
    He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
    Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
    And he was always human when he talked;
    But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
    "Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich - yes, richer than a king -
    And admirably schooled in every grace;
    In fine we thought that he was everything
    To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
    And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
    And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
    Went home and put a bullet through his head.

Richard Cory
    By Edwin Arlington Robinson
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats what came to my mind. Not that poem exactly, but the same idea.

I think what sets Pete apart though is the loving supportive parents, and fact that he seems more than content with his life.

10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    In the light of recent events that's a pretty chilling piece of text (and I mean the original meaning of chilling).

I think that being happy and being (old word) joyful are are two different things.

Am I happy?

No not really. I have a soul destroying spirit crushing job that pays enough to trap me there, surrounding by complete morons and some of the most selfish people I have ever met.

I have a teenage daughter that is driving me nuts by just being what she is, a teenage daughter.

I have a band that hasn't rehearsed since May. And I'm struggling with writing new material.

I've been burgled twice since the end of July and my roof leaks. It's taken 3 months to get the insurance company to agree to pay for it. My car was broken into a week ago and the window smashed and CD's stolen. When I was burgled (both times) the thieves took the car and house keys. I've spent a fortune in excess payments and phone calls chasing 3 different insurance companies.

So am I a miserable git? No not really. I have religious beliefs that enable me to be content whatever happens. The thing is that it doesn't have to be true. It gives me comfort. If it is true I win. If it isn't then I have had a richer life for it.
  11. Punk_311

Punk_311 Guest

Aug 4, 2001
    Electric Ladyland
    I cut the tip of my thumb off with a knife yesterday so i cant play guitar, I stabbed my eye with a pencil today in school and my brother ran away from home...Other than that, Im great. I voted 5.
  12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

I am at a 10 all the time. I used to be really low, 1 or 2.

My secret?

I used to care what people thought about me. I used to care about my image, wether my clothes matched, my hair was neat, stuff like that. I used to care what others saw me as, and I didn't focus on what I saw myself as.

I don't care how I dress. My hair hasn't been cut in 6 months, it's in dissarray, and it is fun for ME! I just put on whatever clothes are comfortable to ME. I do what makes ME happy, not what makes someone else happy.
    (notice a trend? ME)

I don't care how people see me. I am happy with myself, and have accepted who I am, and have grown to love myself (I know it sounds cheesy).

Stop caring about what other people think about you, and stop being someone you aren't to make them happy.

I am me. I am no one else. If I acted like someone else, then I wouldn't be me. And it is fun being me :)

Now all of that would take me up to an 8 or 9. Now add in that I got a girl that loves me, some good basses and a nice guitar, and music being a main part of my life.

That makes me a 10 :)
  13. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    8 - No real significant strife. Some challenges, but that's the spice of life.

Great job. Beautiful wife. Lovely home. Evil pets. Band that's moving forward.

I am all set!
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    First of all... excellent Idea for a thread. I hope it remains tasteful. I clicked 4... why? I'm happish now, but in a little while I will be a 0-1. I'm almost positive I failed out of college. I'm on academic probation and I'm pretty sure I failed my computer class. It was too easy to blow off, especially with as busy as I was. I'm probably going to have to back on happy drugs because I've been a little depressed lately, and once this hits, odds are it's going to be full blown. The whole concept of being a failure is what sets my depression off, especially in the eyes of my parents. I mean, they don't think I'm a failure... but sometimes I don't know, it's what I think. Well it's been nice venting, but uhhghhh... I'm not looking forward to failing out of college. Grades come out the 20th. Worst case scenario, I have to take a semester off. But during that semester I will feel like ****. Plus I'll have to get a job that I will probably hate. :( I wanna take my 4 back and make it a 2.
  15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    despite your intentions, blackbird, i'm gonna have to give two answers because it is impossible to seperate oneself from the now.

and right now, i think i'm hurting pretty bad.

tomorrow i'm catching a plane to california because my grandma died wednesday.

i came on TB just now to cheer up, and the first thread i saw was "how happy are you?" then i saw the title "bad news about bigfeet" and went on to read it.

no, i'm not doing fine at the moment.

....can't even write second point...
  16. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000

I've been pretty depressed today, since my band has been getting f****d around by certain people, and things haven't been going nearly as well as we thought they were. But, I've got a lot of what Peter has, so I can't really complain too much. I'd say about a six or seven at the moment.
  17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You a music major then? Free time is not something I am familiar with when it comes to attending "a prestigious university." What's your secret? (if you have one)
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I generally stay around 8. Right now I am between a 6 and a 7 because of the burglary and loss of equipment. But that's life, and I will get over it.
  19. I voted 0.

I have a good life, I can pick up my bass and jam, which can bring a smile, but for what? i lose it all within seconds.

I know that life goes on, it's not a fair world, and that I am young, but this is how I am...

I feel like I have no emotion. I'm usually always thinking up something fun to do or some joke, but now - nothing. I lost the most important thing to me next to music - my g/f, and now, we barely talk - all for nothing :mad: :(

Within music, I can't, do anything. Sometimes I get a lick that's cool, but it sounds.. nothing. Maybe it's just my bass, but there's plenty of people with crappy'ish basses who hit it big, right? Locally, or nationally. I can't write the songs I wanna see me on stage playing, for this I feel like a fool. Not bashing ramones(hell, I love them!), but I can't put out something as simple as that?!

I don't think.. I have PROPERLY been happy for about a year now...

After my ex, I found another, she was fun, then turned around and called me a user, a loser, and self centred. I'm nothing special, but I'd consider myself decent, and hell I'd never do that! TO ANYONE!

I've considered suicide, tried it twice. But now, I don't think I'm that dumb or selfish. I just don't see the point in getting up out of bed anymore...

My life evolves around music. I practise everyday, and try to learn new things about amps and such here, but I just can't play my bass... The feeling I get is so gut churning, I could puke.

When I look back on my life.. I see some memories.. But I know I havent done anything special - going places, meeting people - when I listen to my friends talking about their lives, its hilarious, and this is what I used to about a year ago. Everything felt so easy then.
    I just see some tattered remains when I look in the mirror.. I grow uglier every day:rolleyes:, and this life.. People blindlessy doing stupid things without care. The REAL users getting away with it all. I try my best at scool and fall between a's and b's, but hell, I bet the punk who barely turn up for 1/2 of their 4 years of scholling, will have a better life than me... phfffff!

I want regain my life, but I feel I need a girl. My friends seem really distant to me now, I don't know why.. If I try to talk to them about myself.. they start looking into space like a drummer.. eheh.

I think I have found another, maybe. Just maybe.. BUT, she lives in Edinburgh! D'OH!!!!

My parents... I guess that's another story.. They give me the food and clothes that I need, and I am grateful, but not when my dad comes torming into my room, telling me that I suck at bass.. Or mum screaming for not eating, hell she got pissed at me for not bring a pen to school! (doesnt matter how she found out.. :confused: )

"That's life, I'll get over it"

These words I learned a while back, and they've helped me, but I still turn into this.. somewhat lost individual, with no feeling..

I also thought of taking drugs, but no. Not this time. I'm going to strive without them. I get some mad cravings, but Im fighting it. It's NOT worth it!

The thing I miss most, is my ambitions. I wanna make it with my music.. But the ambition isnt there anymore ..

Sorry for droning.. Another dumb teenage rant :(
  20. Advanced study techniques and a major that values knowledge over grunt work.