1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How are you cooking your turkey?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by EricF, Nov 24, 2010.

How are you cooking your turkey?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2010.
  1. Roasted (no brine)

17 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Brined and roasted

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. Barbequed

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Deep-fried

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Other

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Turkey-flavored carrots

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    For the first time, we're hosting Thanksgiving at our house, and I'm cooking the turkey. I've had turkey losts of different ways (roasted, BBQ'd, and deep-fried). Again and again, it seems to me that brined and roasted just comes out best - flavor and moisture. My step-dad has been brining his turkeys for years, and it seems to be an especially popular choice this year.

Tonight, I'll start the brining process in a bath of water, vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, oranges, lemons, tarragon, and sage and let it sit overnight. Tomorrow it will get 4-ish hours in the oven with a butter rub-down at an hour to go.

Gobble, gobble, y'all!!

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I voted "other" because we typically insert a long iron rod into our turkey which is resting in a pool of water in the middle of an open field and let lightning do it's thing. It's really cool

3. Wow ... do you at leat knock him out first?

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    No, the trick is to force feed him bourban - "Wild Turkey" is the best for obvious reasons. If the alcohol content is just right, the turkey is out cold by the time he gets to the field + you get the added benefit of having it burst into flames and get that really nice golden crunchy skin :)

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Exactly like you would cook prime rib except it is prime rib.

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Brine and Roasted, stuffed to the gizzzards with pork and beef stuffing. oh crap am I hungry now, and I just had pizza-feast at work...

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I like it!!! Here's hoping you have a timely thrunder storm roll through your 'hood.

I've been doing a rib roast for Christmas the last few years. I'm looking forward to another one this year.

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    This upcoming Christmas I'm seriously considering ordering a "turducken". Anyone ever try that? I've been dying to get one for the holidays for a while now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've been curious about the turducken, too. I expect a full review.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Wrap it in bacon as well.

[​IMG]

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    had one last year, alongside the Turkey and Ham. It was really good, the duck was the best part, definitely. So good. worth it.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    One of the guys I work with has an electric roasting pan. Kinda like a crock pot, but not a crock pot. He swears by that thing. Every time I cook a turkey, it either isn't completely thawed after five days in the refrigerator, or something else happens that adds two hours onto the cooking time. As a result, I don't even try to stuff the body cavity with anything anymore. (I do make a mean stuffing however.)

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Have you tried stuffing it with a corn cob?

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    We have used the electric roasting pan thingy for a few years now. Free's up the oven, and it seems to do a better job anyways.

15. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    LMAO! :eek:
    I roasted our turkey yesterday. It turned out quite well. We're going on a little thanksgiving vacation later today, and will be taking plenty of good stuff along.

16. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    We still talkin Turkey here, or have we moved on to The Gobbler? Speaking of which, where is ol 5StringBlues??

17. Roasted, sitting on a bed of veggies, potoatoess, carrots(!), and brussel sprouts.

18. You silly Americans, thanksgiving was in October.

lowsound

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Have you checked the other end of the corn cob?

20. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    You can make it to my place in aboot 4 hours or so. Wanna do it all over again??

Sometimes I'm too scared to look....