1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How are you EQing your GBE 750/1200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Anthbass, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I was curious about how folks who are gigging regularly are EQing the 750/1200 series heads (searched, no luck). I have the 750 and am quite happy with it, except that I find it has a very 'soft' low end in comparison to my B800. Since it has a myriad of EQ options available, I tweak it a fair bit. In my current 'old-tyme' metal band, I play a 5 string BTB equipped with an Aguilar OBP-3. I have had some trouble getting a sound I liked live until I really cranked the mids (for me, anyway) on the amp. I'm currently running the lows at noon, the three mid controls at 2-3 oclock, and the treble control about 11 am. I also have the low frequency 'Global' switch engaged and set to noon, and the two amp channels running mixed. The bass EQ is essentially flat, with the exception of a slight mid boost and an equally small treble cut.
    So, how do you have yours set?

2. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I run my GBE 1200 pretty close to flat...with the mids backed off a couple of clicks...and 95% of the time, I don't activate any of the global stuff...

I switch between the tube and SS channels, just depending on what sounds good to me at the time...but I've never ran them both together at a gig...just messing around the house, yes...but not live...

3. +1 regarding fishtx...

the only time i engage both channels is when i need a bit of a volume boost during a song...

4. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I can't say that I mix the two for more volume; it is just that I perceive more warmpth, 'roundness' and so on with both running together.
    Bump for more opinions.

5. ZoneofInhibitio

ZoneofInhibitio

Jan 20, 2009
    i have a 1200. Play a musicman in drop C. My lows are around 6 mids around 7 highs round 4. The only problem i have is for slower songs i get really fast decay on some notes more than other. most of this problem is the size of the strings though. The Genz Benz is really just the type of head you need to sit down with and take an hour to eq to perfetion

6. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    When at home i tend to EQ my rig. and then over eq it.. But then i get to the gig and flatten it out.. I usually engage the Global Bass, 1-2 clicks up off 12 noon on the bass and Low mid, Then tailor the hi Mids for what bass im playing... Not much at all.. I find less is more and it is smooth as silk with good definition

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    I would never think of this amp as being "soft" in the lows. What kind of cabs are you using?

I think of "soft" as "pillowy". Most people say our amps sound tight and punch in the lows.

I'd suggest just sticking with the tube channel and derive your tone there first. One reason mixing the two channels sounds "rounder" is because it will be louder.

If you go back to just the one channel, and turn it up, you should be able to achieve the same thing.

8. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I run both channels.

FET: gain ~9:00, volume ~9:00, low very slightly boosted, lo-mid slight boost, mid flat, hi-mid slight boost, treble slight boost.
    TUBE: gain ~ 10:30 (enough to slightly clip), volume ~ 8:30, lows ~ 1:00, low-mids ~1:30, mid slightly cut, hi-mid slightly cut, treble flat.

GLOBAL: Usually have the LF extend engaged at ~ 12 - 1:00 when in A-C-G-C-F tuning, off otherwise.

I find that using both in this manner gives me a bright, cutting sound with a touch of texture and a slightly fatter low-end. I also like to flip the Powerflex when running at 4 ohms to get just over the master clip threshold (when volume allows)- I really like the slight bit of compression achieved by barely clipping.

9. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    By 'soft' I meant 'polite', especially on the B string. I realize the preset EQ structures are likely very different on the GBE versus the B800, but my experience has been (no pun intended) notes lower than E when (using the Carvin) jump out with an authority that I find missing when employing the Genz. As for cabinets, I use Peavey and Epifani, from a 112 up to a 215.