Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How are you suppose to play this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Sep 20, 2004.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Play it like a gee-tar. ;)

2. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Yeah. These days, many guitar manufacturers are making "baritone" guitars with scale lengths of 27" or above because of the vast number of guitarists in modern rock who like to detune. In this case, the scale length is 29.5" (which is beyond the 27" of a normal baritone guitar but a hair short of a short-scale bass. I've seen short-scale basses with 30"-32" scale lengths.)

So in the case of this "bass guitar" think of it more as a guitar and less as a bass.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, I'd go with "they shoulda' called this a baritone guitar". Clearly, the strings are close together such that it really lends itself to pick playing exclusively, and I'd bet it's not tuned in straight 4ths, either.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's not a baritone guitar.

It is tuned EADGBE, an octave below a guitar. Which puts it in the same octave as a bass.

It is Ernie Ball's version of a Fender Bass VI, or a Danelectro tictac bass.

Played with a pick. Used in the late 50's and early 60's to double upright bass parts and help bring them out in the mix.

Also popular with surf bands, and The Cure.

A baritone guitar is tuned a fifth below a standard guitar.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    It's literally a bass guitar then. Which is good for us people who like calling our planks electric basses.