Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How are you treated at your local music store?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Sep 16, 2003.

1. I am treated well - my local guys are cool.

116 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. I am treated well only if I 'm buying something - my guys have "The attitude."

26 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. I am seldom treated well - my guys are vermin.

13 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. I can usually play anything I want because the store is so busy ( a good thing )

11 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. I mostly buy online or on the phone so I don't have to deal with bad attitudes.

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  6. I have a magic box - I push a button, everyone falls asleep and I take whatever I want.

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im treated well bc i work there :)

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I'm treated pretty well.

However, I'm over 30, usually well dressed when I go in, carry myself in a professional and courteous manner, and I pretty much always buy when I go to the shops. I think the staff of the places I frequent know I'm a serious customer.

3. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    there are two stores around here that i go to, one is the mighty corporate monster known as Guitar Center, the other is just your average mid size local music store. as you'd think, GC is filled with commission hounds. last time i was in, I asked about a instructional video, wether I'd learn anything, and got the response "well, anyone with a video out is infinately better than you." i was turned off and left the store without anything, retreating to the local music store, where the guys helped me out. im sure thats a story that's been told a thousand times and will be told a thousand more, but who knows, maybe we can turn that place around.
    peace-
    -Tom

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    They know and like me there, one salesman in particular whom I almost always deal with. I get a lot of compliments when I'm demoing gear, so they always let me demo for as long as I want.

fortunately for me, this local store has a pretty decent selection of gear, nothing super high end, but it has a lot of great mid-level stuff, and a lot of things I have always wanted to try, so it's all good.

much better than when I goto guitar center or something like that.

but I buy online a lot regardless.:meh:

5. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Not a big fan of the big music store here in Dayton (won't mention the name, but if you've read my other posts, you'll know who.) They're pretty uppity unless you're really gonna buy something. Had to stand around for 15 minutes waiting for a salesman to stop trying to milk the poor mom of her cash and sell me some friggin' bari sax reeds. I don't like salespeople that can't be bothered to answer some questions when it's not completely obvious you're going to buy something.

Jim

6. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    well, i dont know about you guys, but when i go this store i usually end up having a not-so-good time, ive never checked out any basses there, mainly cause there's only one lefty bass or two and cause i dont think they will let me if i dont buy anything. ive been pretty much treated like a snotty kid trying to be fieldy, and the local luthier looks at you like hes doing you a really big favour when you ask him to change one of your strings (dude, i may be ignorant for not knowing how to do that properly, but next time dont make me wait 15 minutes while youre checking out the new playboy).

on a sidenote, this guys are famous in town for recommending low end ibanezes when they have the best looking warwicks hanging in their walls.
    nice.

7. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    They worship the water I walk on.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm treated very well indeed.

They'd better - I'm giving them all my money!

:)

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The treat me almost as well as
    Brad 'Mr. Big' Johnson,
    when he is in his Funkstoner
    persona at Guitar Giant.

I wish I was smart enough to go the Manager
    like him, and get that better customer
    discount...

I know it's not me, just 'cause I returned that
    Monster Johnson Effects pedal the day after the gig, there is no reason for Nickoman, and
    Gardhard and those other guys to be upset at me, like,what the heck, I was DONE using it, and Jeez,
    it wasn't that GREAT anyway, no need to be an
    upside down 370HSSV about it, duuhhh... :mad:

Where's my cup?
    ;) :D
    ======

What me worry, NJL will rescue me tomorrow with the help of 'LonDick Chaney aka Wolfman'.

Praise the lord and pass the pertater salad ...
    'Hey, is that RED Bliss, 'cause I just don't do
    just ANY pertater salad... an the kawfee ain't hot!'

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Like a schmuck. I don't even bother anymore.

EDIT: I forgot to add a story. Here it is: A few years ago, I had just plunked down 600 bucks on an amp and two packs of strings, when I got laughed at for asking for a package of strings that hadn't been opened already. I felt like returning my amp right then and there and going somewhere else. This was the same sales ditz that complained to me months earlier when I tried to get her to match MF's price on a Boss ODB-3. "You know, those Internet stores are gonna put stores like us out of business!" Boo frickin' hoo.

11. The people at Owens Music are very friendly and try to help in everyway they can even though they are about half as knowledgeable as the guys at Grand Performance who are all complete jackasses.

12. I usually go to Bass Northwest in Seattle rather than bother with the stores in Portland or San Francisco (where I spend time/live). They treat everyone like pros and they know what they are talking about. They don't wheel and deal, either. All prices are set and fair.

Here in SF, GC is OK, but noisy and cheesy. I always bring a MF catalog to get the right price. I hear GELB and Bananas are the good stores around here.

But Lemur and MF are all right as far as I am concerned... especially Lemur.

13. I go to Murphy's Music and Sam Ash in the Huntington area..the employees all know me by name and gimmie a lotta respect..I sometimes just go in there to talk w\ them, have some fun, other times to check out gear, and when that time comes, they don't care, they let me take anything off the wall to try it out..not that I abuse that privelege.

I've helped them sometimes when it was excessively busy, helping customers find instruments, or even just organizing some stuff...when I turn 18, I think I'm gonna get a temp job at Ash, it's fun...

as for Murphy's, I take lessons there and that is very fun as well.. eccentric employees, seldomly hectic and loaded with employees..nice to have a jam there, or even just watch one.

14. if u went to the music store in my town u feel bad for me. u cant play any thing unless u have the money on u or a credit crad. and u as them to get u some thing behind the glass liek pickups cause u want to read the box they bitch when u hand it back.

15. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I get treated very well. I've been dealing with the same guy for 15 years now. Buy now I think I paid for half of his house!! He gives me good deals. He needs more of a personality. Kind of dull person to talk too.

But a hell of a nice guy!! :)

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I get treated well at a couple of local stores, the only store I truly have problems with is in VA and most people have the same problem there.

The local GC treats me right (managers and salespeople) because that's the way I carry myself. In a lot of cases I actually help sell gear by answering questions and demoing stuff.

This happens to the greatest degree at Atomic Music. We hang out way too long there, it's pretty much a hang for bassists in MD/DC/VA. The store owners and salespeople are all young, musicians and pretty cool. I spend a lot of time helping people with gear questions and while I'm not trying to sell things, things do get sold, usually to very happy customers. There's also a lot of knowledge sharing going on, too. Great place to learn what you don't know and reinforce what you do.

17. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i won't mention store names or locations, bot i've great and sucky experiences. here goes:

STORE "A" ... small town store owned by "a guy." i've been going in there for a few years, and i've gotten to know him, bought some stuff. one time, i was trying out a roscoe fretless on a saturday, it was closing time, and he told me to take it home and bring it back on monday. no credit card, no BS, just trust and respect. needless to say, i played that bass naked, and made sure i had it back when he reopened on monday in perfect condition. and although i elected not to buy it (it was unlined, and i can't deal with that), he has offered to lend me instruments since then, but i decline unless i got the $$$ and i really want it.

STORE "B" ... giant music superstore ... i ask when they're getting the XYZ amp head in ... salesman says, "i'll call you when it comes in." i give my number, and a month or two later when i visit again, THERE IT IS! he never called. i don't care really, but the small store guy woulda called if he said he was gonna.

i'll shut up now, but giant corporations basically, pretty much, kinda suck. i'll never buy any wood from a place like that ever again. emergency items, strings/strap/cable ... maybe if i'm desperate.

no offense to anyone who works in one of the giant superstores -- i'm sure it ain't you i'm talking about here. :)

18. My local music store is Bass Central, and they drag me in off the street, beat and torture me until I buy something. Gard is especially brutal.
    Seriously, it is good to have a store like them close by. I don't remember a bad comment about them.

John

19. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    What scoured me off one day is when I picked up a stomp box, paid by check, furnished proper credentials, then the idiot called by bank to see if there was suffiecient funds. That was the last dollar they got from me. A lot of local competition seems to make this sort of behavior uncommon, after all I usually know what I want prior to go into a music store. Oh, another idiot salesperson at another mall music store was following me around like I was going to steal one of their precious guitars. This punk "was salivating like a Pavlov dog".