How are you using chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Samurai, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    I was just wondering how you guys are usually using chorus: to fatten up your tone or as a more spacey sound. I have really started to like regularly using a subtle setting that beefs up things.
  2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I use it as a subtle thing for slower parts of songs, or where I want my bass to stand out a bit.
  3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    For a more spacy sound with harmonics, which float a bit more with the chorus one (I love and in one song with the distortion and a Hendrix-like riff on bass. Oh yeah.. and together with the octabass and BassIQ to get a Synth-like sound.

Lots of different purposes... :)
  4. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    During the chorus!

Well, I use it during the chorus of one song we do, to make the bassline stand out a bit more because it's carrying the melody at that point. Elsewhere, I use it on another song when everything but the drums & bass drop out, again to get a bit of sparkle.

(I'm using an Arion Stereo Chorus pedal which I was given. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that despite it being a cheap plastic pedal, it's actually quite good. There's no volume drop or loss of bottom end when it's on, which is great for live stuff. It's maybe not the best tone in the world, but I can't knock it for free!)
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    for both things. The producer on our last album introduced me to using light chorus when using a pick, definitely made the bassline stand out more.
    If you want to hear, go to - that song playing on our home page has chorus on a picked driving bass line.
  6. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
  7. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    With bass, I seldom use it. Just once in a while with fretless. On guitar I'm a bit more liberal with it.
  8. A light chorus is pretty much a full time part of my tone spectrum. It does seem to make my lines stand out a bit more without being a volume overkill issue. I use a Boss CEB-3 and am pretty happy with it. During slow interlude type parts, Ill often add a very light flange as well, combined they seem to give my 5 string a sort of "Roger Waters" fretless type tonality. Kinda sweet and smooth.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I just add ***thparkle*** to my sound. Works pretty well, and great with a pick.
  10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Chorus is the coolest effect ever but there is a caveat.....
    a lot of times you can "dissapear" particularly if your guitar player is using chorus or flanging at the same time
    with most effects i like to use them in some kind of blendable side chain loop so i can be subtle about it and the bass still sounds like bass
  11. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yup, that is a cool sound, esp with a p-bass (of course, picking a P-bass sounds pretty rad by itself). This first time I realized chorus sounded cool with a hard pick was on a couple Guns 'n Roses songs, like the one from that Terminator movie (You Could be Mine?)...sounds like a locomotive.
  12. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    THREAD RESURRECTION!!!!!!!!! :ninja:
  13. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use chorus on my fretted when I want a quasi-fretless sound.
    It's always very subtle when I use it.
  14. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004

I really noticed the 'pick and chorus' on Sweet Child 'O Mine. You can really hear it during the intro when Duffer plays the melody high up the neck.
  15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I can't seem to get chorus to work for me. I try to use it but I find that my tone gets muddy and I can't even tell it's on. I might be that the band I'm in is loud but I thing my tone doesn't have enough zing to make the chorus stand out.
    Sorry for the hijack but since we are talking about chorus, can some one give some pointers as far as settings that work for them?
  16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Great question Edwcdc. I've been wondering this myself as I have my first chorus pedal coming in the mail right now.
  17. i like it with chords and for space sounds and what not