Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How attatched are you to your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frankencow150, Feb 1, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I find that every time i drop it,or the head bumps against something,I find myself saying "ouch" like the bass is apart of me,hehe.It's automatic,i just say it i never think of it.

2. I dream about it sometime, usually I dream that my Elrick was stolen.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am attached to all of my babies, but I plan on being buried with my Zon.

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Last week end I was making love to my girlfriend and during some second i had the image of a Hot rodded P bass in my mind...
    :D
    I'm sure she'll never read this, she hates the bass !!
    :(

5. attatched to my bass'es ? nah :D

but touch them with your friggin' fingers and i'll whoop your butt REAL good

6. Ciaran

Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Ireland
    I feel like my acoustic is my child.
    The other day I hit it on the corner of a table...and found myself trying to rub it better :eek:

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Let's just say that if you were to cause harm to any of my basses, you would die the most painful, horrific death conceivable...

8. It's a love hate thing for me. It's my first bass and it's a Fender P-Bass copy. I don't like Fender's and I don't like P-Basses. But whenever I bump it, scratch it or one of my guitarist friends decides to do some powerchords with a pick on it I can't help but cry a little. ;)

9. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    When I leave my bass at my house I make sure that nobody can see into my music room from outside; make sure the blinds on my sliding glass door and window are drawn down and that they are locked sufficiently. In the event of a theft I'd spend as much time finding the person and my bass as I would torturing them. I don't get too upset bumping it or something, but if someone else does, then all heck breaks loose.

10. cordova

cordova

Oct 24, 2001
    Edmonton
    Last weekend I was jamming at a friend's house... we stopped playing for a bit to get some more beer, and I leaned my bass against the wall. I was sitting on the floor at the time, and as I went to stand up, my bass slid off the wall and fell on my head. Even though my ear was cut and bleeding, my first reaction was, "My bass! "

It's just a crappy Ibanez GSR200, but it's mine, and I love it.

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's a hunk of wood. I'm proud of it, but it's replaceable.

12. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    well put ChenNuts!!

seriously, i can realize that shes no fodera, but if for every dent you inflict upon my bass, i will reflect upon you a hundred fold. that little nick? thats your torso. needless to say i would seriously cry for hours if something were to happen to my baby.

when i die, i want to be cremated, and placed in a small glass bottle, which will then be implanted into my bass. and i want the bass buried in a flight case.

13. I love the bass. I mean I really LOVE it. Play it all the time. Spend the rest of the time chatting with you folks. Always thinking about basses.

HOWEVER, I can honestly say that I have never ever thought about basses while in the in the midst of sex.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i feel that my warwick is part of my identity. lately during lectures i've been drawing little cartoon figures on the side of my notes, and sometimes i'll draw myself.

and i look wierd to me without drawing in my SSII as well.

my upright, i don't really care that much about. i want it to get knocked around a little bit - it looks dumb all pretty and new.

jason

15. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I can't decide if I should personify my bass ("my baby") or if I should see at as being part of myself. I am kind of torn.

16. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Interesting thread.

I enjoy playing all of my basses and think they are very cool things. However, they are only tools to express your music, not the heart and soul of the music you play. I think basses are very exchangeable.

Remember, never love something that cannot love you back.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

17. depends one whether I'm wearing a strap or not.

less then My dog about equal to my car.

18. I agree - but I have thought of sex whilst in the midst of playing the bass! :eek:

:D

19. I've thought of sax while playing bass. :rolleyes:
    A Selmer Mark 6. B flat. Mmm mmm good.

Mike J.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I haven't had my fivers long enough to develop any deep and meaningful relationships.

But as for my MusicMan beater basses: I'm extremely attached, even though I no longer play fours. Iv'e got a 1982? Cutlass I, and a 1989 EB Sabre, both in bass-ic black. I bought both brand new, so their mojo is all mine: in fact many of the dings tell interesting stories.

One cool thing about 'em is that neither is in production any longer (I've modded 'em both so vintage value is negligible). But the most significant attraction is that they served me so beautifully well over the years. Now I'm getting all teary-eyed over 'em (sniff!)