Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How bad does my 400+ need to be in a shock rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Droog, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    So my band is about to start really giging out I think and I need a rack for my 400+. I don't really want to set it on my cab, so something with castors would be prefereble. Would it be in my best interest to buy a shock rack, they are damn spendy. I see a lot of fellas who seem perfectly fine with putting their all-tube amps in standard racks. What do you all think? Is it really going to hurt my amp to not have a shock rack? THanks.

2. man i am in the process of getting one, and we have the "bouncy" trailer. i HAVE to have one. the springy, not the foamy. check around to rental places and used gear joints. you might be able to find one. I have a friend who is in this market working on one for me.

if a good friend has one, offer to wax a car or do errands for a month. you'd be surprised what you can get WITHOUT cash. :D

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I have a Mesa shock rack. The thing that you may not realize is that they're pretty darned huge. And heavy. I'm keeping mine in-case-of...but plan in keeping mine in a regular rack. The Mesa 4 space rack, so if you plan on having a tuner or other RM device you'll need to go even bigger!

I guess my real decision was based upon the fact that I can hardly carry the 400+ in the Mesa rack by myself...and that it takes up the whole trunk of my car. We do mostly local gigs (within 150 miles or so) and I'll be driving to all of them, and I figure I can handle a regular rack and move it without trouble and in all the years I've had rack cases, I haven't dropped one, tipped it over or any other moving fiasco.

If I had others moving my gear, or it was going into a van or truck with less than stellar care, I'd definitely use a shock rack.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Here's mine to give you an idea...

I've put my 4 space SKB next to it so you can have an idea of the size...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Having a shock rack helps improve tube life. However, has anyone seen a shock rack thats 8 spaces or bigger and has a retractable handle with rear mounted wheels? I saw a guy with one, and would like one to haul around all my tubes. However, I don't know of a brand that makes em.

6. I have an eight space Mesa Boogie SUS-4 shockmount rack with retractable handle and recessed wheels that I keep my big Aguilar Tube rig in. I don't think there are too many of these out there, but MB can certainly make a new one for you.

Loaded up the thing weighs a ton, and while the wheels are functional for moving around the stage, you probably want a dolly for the long haul.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I used to play with a guitar player who was really paranoid about his gear...I mean really paranoid. He used to complain that my bass amp was too loud because it vibrated his rack rig on top of the cabs and this was bad for his (all SS) gear.

Eventually he went out and got a really nice, really expensive shock-proof rack. He put all the stuff in it (effects processor, all tupe power amp, some other stuff) and a few days later we had a gig (his first one with the rig, because he was afraid to take it to gigs before getting a rack).

As we were unloading I hear a massive crash from the back of the van, as though a thousand guitar players cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Turns out he'd slid the stuff in, locked the front, but never bothered to screw the equipment into the rack itself. As soon as he tilted it forward the amps and processor slid out and BOOM!

One of the amps survived, but its twin and the processor were shot. Oh yeah, he had to use a borrowed head for the gig too.

I don't why but somehow this thread reminded me of that.

8. That guy...is a moran.

I've used my 400+ in a standard SKB case for awhile, but mostly because I either couldn't afford a shock case or knew that I'd be baby-ing it. It doesn't go in the back of my truck, it goes in the cab...I don't set it on the floor, it goes from truck cab to the top of my cabinet, and I put two or three towels under it whilst on top of my cabinet.

It is a pain in the butt, though.

Keep in mind that Mesa's vent out the side, so you can't just get one of the cheap Anvil knock-off's on eBay that have foam as the shock absorption. It's best to get the SKB springy kind or the Mesa suspension kind.

9. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    This sez it all. If you haul your stuff in a trailer which has rough suspension then you should consider it.

My gear gets hauled in my car or a mini-van so it's of no benefit to me. I use a 4 space SKF fligth case (See BurningSky's pic.) This keeps my head (an Ampeg SVT-3) safe from scrapes.

I mounted in the bottom space with a tray on top of it to protect the top of the amp from scratches.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I used the Mesa shock rack when I was into 400+ amps (great amps, just not my sound these days) and I think they're definitely best where protection is the main priority. They are mad heavy, however. If you've got the space and "gruntability," go for it. If light weight is even a slight concern, however, forget 'em. If you handle a conventional rack with care and load it properly, perhaps sitting it on a cushion/blanket or something, I doubt you'll ever have a problem. Good luck! :cool: