1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How bad is leaving your bass in the car for 8 hours?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    One or two days a week I jam with some friends after work. Where we play is right by my job so I usually bring my bass with me into my office. Between my immature coworkers wanting to play with it, and walking out of the office without it because I'm very forgetful, I'd rather leave it in the car. Is it really bad to leave the bass in my trunk for 8 hours? I park in an covered garage, away from the sun but right now in New York it's fairly humid and hot. Generally between 75 in the morning to near 90 mid afternoon with moderate humidity. Is 8 hours, one or two days a week enough to warp the wood? What about the cold when winter comes around? Theft really isn't a concern. It's gated and I know everyone that parks there and it's all on camera. I'm more curious about potential damage.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Would you be comfortable sitting in the car in the same manner? That's my rule of thumb...

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    When you come out to your car and your bass is gone you'll know then that it was a bad idea.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

In the trunk out of direct sunlight... and at a nice 55-75F temperature, I wouldn't worry beyond about it getting stolen.

105F or -10F... I would worry a lot.

5. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Don't leave anything in the car you do not want to give away!

Wood is an elastic material, it take temperature and humidity changes just fine, be sure those changes are not quick. It is quick changes than can cause problems.

I saw a MM Stringray that was left in a truck overnight on really frigid 10 degree night be brought in to a warm night club and the finish cracked in sort of an alligator pattern, instantly.

Acoustic instruments, you can crack the top with quick temp changes.

6. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    I've had leave mine in my truck from time to time. I always crack the windows, and make sure it's never in direct sunlight. It hasnt seemed to bother it any. I was always under the impression that it was extreme, rapid changes in temp and humidity that caused damage. So to me, leaving it in your trunk through the course of the day shouldn't be that bad. Just give it some time to acclimate to the room you're going to be playing in, before you take it out of the case.
    I've been unfortunate enough to have played an outdoor gig facing the setting sun...the surface of my bass was exteremely warm to the touch, so what, approx 90-100 degrees? It was still fine.

Keep in mind, I'm no expert concerning wood and such, just sharing almost 30 years of experience which has involved exposing my basses to things I'm not crazy about. Opportunities to play aren't always perfect or convienent.

Edited after reading other posts to add: I have dark tinted windows and the crime rates around the areas I do this are faily negligible, so obviously YMMV

7. LexD

LexD

Aug 17, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: D'Ambrosio Guitars
    Agreed. Never mind what effects the heat/humidity had on your axe. When it's gets stolen that'll be the least of your worries.

8. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Do you really have to ask?
    You can't remember to take it with you?

9. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    +1 on the stolen, I had a friend leave his vintage strat in the car. He came out a couple hours later and poof gone! He had it under a blanket on the backseat floor. I bring mine in to work and put in my office.

10. If it is as hot in NYC as it is out here in LA these days, I wouldn't consider it.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Thanks for all the answers. Unless a troop of ninjas worked really hard to steal it, it's really not gonna get stolen. It's really just damage I'm concerned about. I suppose I can just try harder to remember to take it with me before I leave.

12. I've just started doing this myself actually. I started jamming with some guys after work, once a week and bring all my gear with me. Thus far I have been leaving it in my trunk, but I park 4 floors underground in a garage so the temp is pretty constant. My biggest concern is theft. I've done this 3 times now and feel I am probably pushing my luck and will most likely bring my bass into the office next week.

13. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Bring the bass with you into work, and put your car keys in the bass case. There will be no way for you to drive away without your bass.

14. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    That's brilliant. I'm going to try that tomorrow. :D

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's actually an awesome idea. I had another idea though. I'll just by a cheapo and leave it at my friends house.

16. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Winner!

17. It really doesn't matter that there is a camera in the garage. I'm from NYC and Im familiar with those parking garages. Its not the other people parking in there that I'd worry about. Its the workers and most important the wise guys who own them. If they want something outta your car they will take it. And if you try to complain you'll get laughed at. You could always file a police report but that won't do you any good any way. So yeah, what everyone else said, just take it inside and leave your keys in there.

18. Best idea.

19. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    No problem if you left the windows slightly open.

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Not a great idea...but it'll be OK for a day. Keep it in the trunk where it is unseen.