Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How bad is lugging the Aguilar DB359???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 2, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Ok, i want that Aguilar tube tone,

but wont settle for anything less than a full tube path. thus my search ends and starts with the DB359.

but my main concern is portability? is it that much of a b*&$% to lug around? it is 50 lbs. after all. and tho, i'm sure most of you muscle bound lug heads dont mind it, what about the mortals on this board???

and speaking of aggie heads, anyone try the highly anticipated DB750??? is it all that, a bag of chips, and a oatmeal raisin cookie?

2. We're bass players dammit, we don't need no stinking portability.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Something tells me you already know the answer to this. You just want someone to support your decision. Ok, I fully support your decision.

Of course, you are talking to a guy with a Kern pre, an Ag DB 728, a Megaliath, and a Mesa Boogie Buster Bass combo, so consider me a little biased.

4. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    This head is heavy... and thats no Joke(r). Everytime I carry it up the 2 flights of stairs to my studio after a gig, I say to myself **** this thing is heavy and it feels like its pulling my arms out of it's sockets. But then I get it to the top of the stairs and I think to myself, well it wasn't as heavy as my 210xlt cab and some of the other stuff I carry up and down those damn stairs and it sounds sooooo good. So all in all, It's worth it to me to lug the weight and have the tone and satisfaction of this all tube head. I recommend the aguilar gig bag. It light, has good handles and makes things a bit easier.

5. Well, if mine ever shows up (Ahem Aguilar, send it any day now), then i'll tell you just how good it is. I love the sound of the DB359 personally, but i wanted power and the lighter weight was nice as well.

A good recommendation for it i guess is that PJ at Aguilar is getting himself a DB750 and he says he loves all tube sounds, and he picked the hybrid head, so i imagine it must be pretty good. Of course, like i said, when i get it, i'll let you in on the details.

6. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    How heavy is the cab that your going to run it through?

Just my opinion, but some people here on Talkbass say that a 50lb. head is too heavy to haul around but are willing to haul a cab which weighs just as much, if not more. When it comes to heads, they really don't get too heavy. Yeah, an SVT tube weighs something like 70-80 lbs. but it is also a 70-80lb, relatively small, managable package...not some bulky, "hard to get a hold of" cabinet. IMO, I think I could deal with a "heavy" amp head.

Besides, I would much rather haul around my BASS equipment than be a drummer and haul around the gear they need. Oh yeah, I forgot...drums are hollow...nevermind!:p

7. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Where can I get this as a bumper sticker? Preach on, Mudbass!

8. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Portability be damned! I just bought an SVT bottom! As long as the DB359 has enough power for you, go for it.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

i decided to get one. sure, portability be dammed. i always wanted an all tube bass head, and there's little better than a good Aggie one, other than a kickass SVT. besides, i could use the workout every now and then. :p thx for the input doods.