How bad is Squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dorky Charles, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Dorky Charles

Dorky Charles

Sep 29, 2002
    Ok, I own a standard Fender P-Bass. I have a good friend who I've taught bass to now for about a year or so on my bass. His birthday is coming in January and I'm thinking about getting him a Squier P-Bass? I hear nothing but bad news about Squier. I hear mostly that their strats suck, but not to much about their basses. Opinions anybody?
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I had a Squier Affinity P-Bass for some time. I had bought it for my students.

Well, you know, it's a P somehow, and it has that deep sound you know well, even if you can't mistake it with a genuine 1963 P.

And you know, it's a Fender somehow, so the general quality of the bass can vary from very bad to exceptional. I believe mine was rather a good one, and I have no doubt there are crappy ones.

The best thing you have to do is run from one shop to another, and try out as many as you can. Then pick up the one that seems the best to you.
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I think they are fine for starting out on.. but I recomend getting an Essex bass. they are Cheaper and have received high praise here on TB...
  4. my roommate has a squier P. sounds, looks, and feels like a fender to me. the knobs came off, of course. i think that happens on every squier P. but it's pretty good overall.
  5. Essex is cheaper and probably better. The quality control on squier is spotty at best. Some might be as good as a MIM fender, but they might be a unplayable p.o.s. The one I had was definitley a piece.
  6. I have an Affinity P-Bass and it actually sounds pretty darn good. It feels comfortable and plays pretty well. But then again, you could go for the Essex's which are cheaper and probably better to begin with.

Squier's aren't bad, just be careful about which one you pick.
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i bought one for my daughter- andfor $169- i cant complain-- im paying it on my next gig.. NOT- but its not THAT bad.... good to learn on--
  8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    If you can find a secondhand JV series (Made in Japan) they are very good indeed, in fact some people would say BETTER than the American basses of that time!
  9. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    No squier. Buy an essex or a samick
  10. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Just to second what Paul has mentioned.

Came across some exceptionally good Japanese made Squiers, mainly early to mid 80s models. If I'm not wrong, their electronics were identical to the Americans of the day.

They're quite reasonably priced in the used market mainly due to the bad rep of Squiers these days, but for those in the know, they're a good deal. I've just retrofitted my late 80s MIJ Jazz with pickups salvaged from a '81 MIJ Squier Jazz. Classic Fender Jazz tone for a fraction of the cost of a semi-vintage instrument!
  11. Can't comment on their basses! I have a Squier Start - about 8 years old, made in Japan (a Wayne's World 2 model!)

Anyway, it served me well over the years and it played really well and sounded OK. I've given it a new lease of life with a set of Fender Texas Specials - it sounds fantastic!

Not sure what the current crop of Squiers are like - but I did OK with mine!
  12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    They are ok if your starting out,,,, but why get those when there is essex? They are ok. But for few more bucks, you could get an MIM. and for less, an essex.