1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How badly cut does a nut have to be to be a problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Solude, Jan 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    So my new MIM Jazz's nut has a nearly 1mm wide gap on the E and A string and the G might be cut too deep since it has minor fret buzz from frets 1-5 even after a setup to Fender standards. Thoughts?

2. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    Nut slots cut too high will make the bass harder to play and can throw off the intonation, especially at the first few frets. Obviously if they're too low you get fret buzz. And if the slots are too deep the strings bind up and you can get tuning issues. I'd say if you have any of those problems you should either modify or replace the nut.

RSBBass likes this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The other slots could be too shallow and not enough relief in the neck; or a high or loose 6th fret under the G. Or as you say.
    That is covered under warranty for the first year. Take it to a Fender authorized repair station.
    IMO an out of spec nut is an out of spec nut. The further out if spec it is, the more of a problem it becomes. You don't say where the 1mm gap is, over the 1st fret when fretting the 2nd or at the nut?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    RSBBass likes this.
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Its the key to getting an ideal setup imo. Have a pro cut a new nut for you

5. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    First fret action (nut slot depth) has no bearing on fret buzz except on open strings. I think you may have issues beyond the nut.

96tbird, RSBBass and lz4005 like this.
  6. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Good point :facepalm:

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I mm gap... on the sides of the slots? If the string isn’t slipping side to side it’s ok. Not pretty but functional.

As said, low but only causes fret buzz on open strings. Check it. Fret the first fret. Look at the gap over the second fret. Now fret the third, check the gap over the first: should be about the same gap. If there’s no gap, but is too low. This Can cause back buzz but never cause buzzing higher up the neck. Buzzing up higher is too little relief or high frets or too low action or a combination of any of those issues.