Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How badly does a Rogue suck?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BazzMonkey, Dec 30, 2000.

1. BazzMonkey

BazzMonkey

Aug 25, 2000
    I have wanted a little amp ...not too little but not too big, and well I saw the most cost effective was a 50watt rogue..for like 100$...and well I liked it cause it had a line out and not an EXT speaker port....but I'm curious, what are your guys opinions on this amp? (yes I know it does suck for tone quality, but it makes noise, which is what I wanted). Any flaws...things I should look out for?

I feel stupid for buying it but ...I'm broke and no job so no bigger goodies for me :*( ...dont worry though!!! later on this year I'm planning on gettint eh Eden 800watt head and 2x15xlt/4x10xlt edens.

(BY THE WAY! I saw a 4 month old eden 800wt head for 800$ in the http://www.recycler.com !!! just wanna tell u people that are fortunate enough to currently afford it)

[Edited by BazzMonkey on 12-30-2000 at 05:13 PM]

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bazz -

Do you know what a black hole is?

3. Munji- I think you lost me with your searing wit :)

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think Munji means "DON'T!". One could never be sure about him, though. :rolleyes:

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you just want noise - how about a small explosive or a second-hand air-raid siren - I'm sure they would be cheaper and make more noise.

6. If you plan on getting a bigger amp eventually, then don't get a Rogue.

I've played one Rogue amp with a decent bass and it probably put out more noise than it did sound.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My wit? It was pretty obtuse. A black hole sucks so much that not even light can get away. It is the ultimate of suckiness. But Rogue sucks more, I think. Do a search for feedback.

8. the iceman

the iceman

Nov 27, 2000
    I have a little 20 watt Rogue pratice amp I got to take to school, and I guess it does what I need it to do----make the sound of my bass louder so I can hear it. Sure, it sounds like crap, but who cares? It makes it that much better when I go home and get to play on my actual setup. Ahh.....such a good feeling.

And plus, I like knowing that if I ever get pissed off or anything, I can smash the hell out of the Rogue and throw it out my window and I won't have any regret later. Or if it gets stolen or stops working, who cares?? It was only 50 bucks!

On the other hand, I would never ever think about buying any bigger Rogue amp than I have. That would be a very bad idea and a waste of money. I think maybe Rogue should have a flat pricing system: all of their amps should cost $50 no matter if it's 10 or 1000 watts. Then maybe a few more people would buy em and not complain so much.

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you want a cheap amp that still sounds decent I would go with peavey. Its not a whole lot more expensive than rogue, but it sounds alot better. If you don't like peavey then, maybe carvin, would work ,but they are probably out of your price range at only $100.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well....it depends on whether you think that gravitational pull or attraction is the same thing as sucking? Suction is caused by reduced air pressure or vacuum, but black holes "pull" isn't to do with this, but rather their huge mass. If a speaker had a magnet as massive as a black hole, maybe it would be the ultimate in "bassiness" - speakers the size of a galaxy. You know how they've recently proved that there is a super-massive black hole at the centre of every galaxy including our own? Well maybe that's the place to have the ultimate gig and bass rig? :) Only trouble is there wouldn't be much "atmosphere" ! :eek:

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    To me the bottom line is does it sound so bad that no matter how cheap it was I can't stand playing through it.

Yes, I have had amps like that in the past. Two were from Fender, so don't forget that a "good" brand name is not always a safe buy.

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You guys are being too hard on $50 and $100 amps. Sheesh... The rogue equipment is manufactured by Squire which in english means cheap fender. So that kinda makes it cheap, cheap fender. But anyways, a little rogue practice amp sounds fine. Just don't compair it to amps that cost 5x or 10x as much... Rogue is a pretty cool company. I love their 5 string acoustic bass... man that's punchy.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    This is NOT true. Squier is just a brand name put on imported gear built to spec FOR Fender by other companies. MF managed to get a "Rogue by Squier" decal on one of their cheap guitars, that does NOT make every Rogue product "manufactured by Squier". However, MF would LOVE it if people thought so!

I don't expect a $100 Rogue amp to compete with a $500 to $1000 amp, I expect it to compete with other $100 amps. Guess what, most $100 amps are not very good sounding already. How do you suppose Rogue can sell a "50 watt" amp for half of what anybody else (including bargain brands like Gorilla) can? Simple, they can't without cutting corners in a lot of places.

As far as being a "cool company", there is no Rogue, it's just a brand slapped on products made expressly for MF (and now I guess GC since they bought MF).

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This is NOT true. Squier is just a brand name put on imported gear built to spec FOR Fender by other companies. MF managed to get a "Rogue by Squier" decal on one of their cheap guitars, that does NOT make every Rogue product "manufactured by Squier". However, MF would LOVE it if people thought so!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, this is sort of true. I know that imports are going to be made by various companies (cheapest bidder or whatever) However, it's not as you put it that they managed to get a decal on one of their guitars... You are making a wild leap here. Squire makes amps... Rogue wanted to sell amps but don't have factories for it, they bought some slightly modified squires and put their name on it... Typical OEM stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I don't expect a $100 Rogue amp to compete with a $500 to $1000 amp, I expect it to compete with other $100 amps. Guess what, most $100 amps are not very good sounding already. How do you suppose Rogue can sell a "50 watt" amp for half of what anybody else (including bargain brands like Gorilla) can? Simple, they can't without cutting corners in a lot of places.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here you have already said that most $100 amps are already not good sounding... so it seems like you are still expecting $500 quality out of a $100 item. Yep, you are right that they cut corners to make a less expensive amp. Every manufacturer does that. This is how we get varying models. Every ampeg is not top of the line loaded with features.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As far as being a "cool company", there is no Rogue, it's just a brand slapped on products made expressly for MF (and now I guess GC since they bought MF).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sure there is a Rogue... I buy equipment for the insturments, not the company behind them. So it doesn't matter who is shuffling the papers. Rogue makes Rogue equipment. And their $50/$100 amps sound good for what they are. They also come with some cool features, once again, for what they are. A good buy for a beginner or someone on a budget.

[Edited by gbrooks on 01-02-2001 at 03:24 PM]

15. If all you want a little amp, get a Crate or a Peavey.

My Crate (BX15) doesn't sound that great, but it's not nearly as noisey as the Rogue amp I've played, and it only cost me $40 US used.

Reliability wise I've never heard of a Peavey amp breaking, and my Crate seems bulletproof.

Used is definitely the way to go. Musician's Friend is a decent catalog and I've bought some stuff from it, but you should get out to your local stores and see what they have for small used amps. Used BX15's like I have practically grow on trees.

16. Tuldie

Tuldie

Apr 18, 2000
    i also bought a rogue. it was 30W which was a step up from my 15W that i got in a package deal from squire. the rogue isn't terrible. the fact that you can pluck a string and noise comes from the box is good. mine isn't of the greatest quality, but i didn't expect it for the price. i'm about to get an ampeg BA-115 (100W, 15") which is a nice step up, but it will be too big to lug around whenever i please, so it will be nice to have my rogue there to take along. so it's not all bad, but i wouldn't make it the last amp you ever buy.

17. Black hole is a new series that Rogue intends to put out.
    Maybe. However,if you look in that paralell universe you might find Global and Jay Turser swirling about,along with Hondo.

Since BazzMonkey is getting Eden,he won't be stuck in the suck galaxy too long. Eden Rocks!!!

18. Doesn't Hartke make a half-decent practice amps or am I mistaken here? Obviously knocking practice amps will get us no where. Their speaker area is just not that great so they can't really give you a heavy bottom. But I think they are definitely worth buying at the beginning. Having an amp to play through is better than having a bass that you can pretty much only mount on your wall. For the past year I was playing through a Traynor 10-watt GUITAR amp. It was horrible (although after I put in a full-range speaker it sounded better) but the thing only cost me 40 Canadian demi-pesos. Now I have a good amp. That's what's great about practice amps. After a while the sound begins to annoy you so much you need to replace it.

19. Al Steen

Al Steen

Feb 1, 2000
    Over at the studio I've been known to use the old 15 watt silvertone tube amp. Jim got it for $20.00 at a yard sale, spent $80.00 (!) to have it gone through and we put a semi-decent Pyle 12" speaker into it. Works Frelling great for Bass (or even oddly enough Guitar :D) better than any cheapy Solid State practice amp IMHO. Al http://www.artistlaunch.com/badart