Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How big a bassist r u ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tyburn, Nov 23, 2000.

1. it struck me the other day that bassists come in all different sizes,, just like guitarist,, but i was just wondering how many of us out there are either really big, small or average??

whats average??

i'm in the situation where i have really big hands, big palms but small fingers in comparison.

i'm 6'5" very well built and to quote a friend of mine " arms like pythons" well thats cos i do alot of weights each day and exercise before i go to sleep and do my prayers.

i just think it will be interesting to find out the spectrum of sizes build etc that TB users are

tybrun

2. I'm 6' 4 5/8" (approximately), with long fingers, and was sooooooooo happy when I got my first 35" scale bass. I have a bass with a 30" scale, and seem to get by just fine on it, but the 35" is more comfortable.

Herm

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have to go metric guys, sorry :D

I'm 1.85 m, 75kg and cursed with short fingers :( but I found that after some years of playing (with lots of stretched fingerings across five frets) I can stretch my left hand about an inch :D further than my right hand. So there's some potential even in small hands...

4. ever noticed that more times than not the bassist in a band is the tallest?

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    i think i´m about 185 cm..

6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    5'9'' 165 pounds

what did you expect, Andre The Giant?

7. probably around 1.85 cm. and 85 kg...

yes.. the bassist are almost always the biggest (in all directions) :

and I have pretty small fingers... :(

[Edited by The_Bass on 11-23-2000 at 04:24 PM]

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I am 6'1 and about 240lbs

Often bass player are the tallest of the band.

9. Im 5'9, 150 lbs... normal to large hands. Im the biggest in my band...drummer is 5'6, 110 lbs, guitarist is 5'7, 140 lbs.

10. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    A very flaccid 5'7" / 120lbs. of ape with longish, skinny fingers -- and I have prehensile thumbs!

11. G'day

I'm about 6'6" and about 95kg - and yeah i've got big hands too!!

12. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I'm roughly 6 feet and 280 pounds. That means I'm bulkier than all of you, so don't mess with me! ROAR! =)

13. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I'm 6'3 and 180 lbs. I don't think I would want to arm wrestle with some of you boys. :)

14. do u think thats why we're bassists?,,
    i played guitar and still do to help my bass playing

mayby we're concious that we real big and guitars r so small

oh i don't care

i still groove, and thats all that matters

15. oh yeah,, my bro is 6'3" or 6'4" and he's the guitarist but he's pretty weedy, well i say that but he'd have most the guitarists out there lol

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think either of my live rigs would make most of the other musicians in the two bands in which I regularly play bust an artery. Being a former outside linebacker in college helped me with bass amps and PA equipment.

Anyone see the computer commercial where the big bat slob e-mails a picture of a steroided-out body with his head attached and the message, "Here's what I look like," to the scrawny chick ? Could that possibly be going...aw naaaawwww. Nevermind.:D

tyburn - r u a Roy D. Mercer fan, too ?!?!

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-24-2000 at 10:43 AM]

17. who?????????????????????

?

18. flaccid now there is a word a make a point not to use

oh and my build is somewhere between pee wee herman and santa claus

19. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I'm 6'2" and about 175... tall and skinny. Although I'm about 2 inches shorter than my lead guitarist, I have about 10 pounds on him and I'm waaaaay more athletic than anybody else in the band. I'm usally the first one to go shirtless during a show because I like to show off my guns. ;)

20. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Rick! What's a bat slob?!

I just lost a few lbs., but I'm 5'10" and about 225. Thats pounds, not kg. Hope that doesn't make me a bat slob. :D