Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How "BIG" can a Bag End 2-10 be???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Boom, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I am thinking about shrinking my rig size but I still want to be able to push a lot of sound. I have been considering a Bag End 2-10 cab.

I have very little experience with Bag End, although my guitarist and drummer think they are some of the best cabs made. I usually would not take their advice on bass related issues but they together are Hamiliton Audio, a home speaker company with models starting at $10,000 per pair going up to $45,000 per pair. So, I value their opinion on cabs.

Still, I would prefer to hear from bassists that have used them.

Can they really fill rooms much larger than their size should allow?

2. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the info Joshua. The deep 2-10s are the ones that I'm lookning at. I am definately looking for the lows, so I was glad that you spoke to that issue.

3. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    I have two Bag End D10BD enclosures.

These are the deep 2x10's without tweeters.

I very rarely use two.

I've used one inside and out, crowds of 100 to 300 people, and it's been plenty.

I feed it 700 watts.

The sound is big, deep, thick, and clear.

Plenty of lows - handles 5 string well.

It's not the lightest 2x10 - weighs 64lbs - I think the coax version weighs 70lbs.

If you want a tweeter, to my ear, the coax version adds one of the smoother sounding tweeters around.

My experience with Bag End products and customer service has been very good.

However..................YMMV

As Josh said, it's a good idea to try one out first.

4. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Joe Boom,

I should add that I play more jazz than anything else, so my volume needs may not be the same as yours.

Have fun,

L.J.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i like all the BE cabs, but the deep 210 has to be one of my favorites - mondo bass and very smooth sounding
    imho bass player really gave it a bum rap in their "bass gear" review

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I've got a 2x10 deep that I run with my EA 2x10 & they sound amazing together! I've owned Eden 2x10's, Acme, Bergs, etc...& the BE kicked ALL their asses(IME & IMHO). Handles a low "B" no problem & shines in the highs too. Their customer service is top notch & the prices are reasonable. Very sturdy & well built. They're not that heavy for their size. Next week I'm doing a comparo with a new 2x10 Accugroove, should be interesting...

~S~

PS: NEVER go by a Bass Player review, I've had some very different results...