1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How big do I have to go?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveC, Oct 29, 2010.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    OK, I get it. My Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T Combo (as nice as it is) isn't big enough to give the the full range and bottom end I desire. I love the sound of my bass through a PA system - subs, crossovers, lots of power, etc. I know I can't have that, but that's what I am looking for in an amp.

I also don't require a lot of volume. I play in a jazz quartet that does mostly "wallpaper" gigs, background music, etc. but without a PA. My other band is a cover band that uses a PA so my stage amp is just a monitor for me. I will probably end up going just DI and using my vocal monitor for my bass pretty soon.

So, how big do I have to go to get in the ballpark of the sound I desire, considering size, weight and portability are a consideration.

I am waiting to try a Genz Benz Uber Quad - the new 1x12/2x8/tweeter option shipping next week. With all the love for the fEarful and LDS cabs of this type, maybe this is a good option for me.

Other thoughts?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Well, you don't want huge power, xovers and subs in a stage amp as it will do nothing but interfere with the PA you like so have you tried just adding a 112 ext. cab to your combo or can you do that? I don't know all the specs/safe ohms etc. with that Genz combo.

Edit: Another option would be using the 12+8 thing you're talking about and adding a lowpassed 112 to the stack, like adding another woofer that doesn't interfere with the mid/high part of the top cab.

3. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    you could pick up a powered sub and put it under your existing rig when needed. No muss, no fuss.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    uber quad might do it. these genz benz fellas know what they're doing. the shuttle was designed to be as small as possible and still deliver a good tone, but the tradeoffs are alwalsy going to make themselves known. that's why they also made a neox 112, for those who don't mind lugging a little extra weight. but i think maybe this uber quad will be more of an answer for you...low freq woofer paired with mid cone(s)...that's by far the best way to do small and low.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Why are you looking for something that you know you can't have? :confused:

MM

6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd suggest first trying a G.B. 12-T extension cabinet along with your G.B. Shuttle 6.0 12-T combo.
    Running two 12's will fatten and expand your sound plus it will bump up your amps power from 375 watts at 8 ohms to it's full power of 600 watts at 4 ohms.
    If that doesn't give you what your looking for, to me, the next step up would be either a 4 ohm 410 cabinet or for better portability two 8 ohm 210 cabinets.

7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Straying from GB, Duke's Audiokineses cab looks interesting...

8. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    You need to decide if you want to carry/move bigger gear around first.
    IMO the only way you get big thick full sound is with a wall of speakers behind you.
    Yes, I know many people (myself included) do gigs with small 110 or 112 combos and have a great sound, it's just not the same as when you have all that paper pumpin notes out behind you....it's just not.
    Will adding another ext. cab help your setup...sure it will, will it be the same as playing through an 810 cab.....no way, not even close.

9. I want to say get 4 ohm neo 410. It might be overkill considering your gigs but suppose you end up joining another band that needs more volume? A 410 is probably the smallest you can go and still be able to handle medium-large size outdoor events.

10. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    I ran mine with a GB 410T-STD last night and it was amazing.

11. This is easy....as big as it takes.

You're welcome. :D

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I think I'm just going to stack 4 of those little Ampeg 210AV cabs. :)

13. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Either duke's cab or a fearful 12. Full range for under 40 lbs.

Plus a bass amp of course.

14. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Ah, but you can have that!

It's the Greenboy fEarful design. You can have Don Oatman at LDS make you one if you are not into building your own cabs. His prices are excellent! (I have no affiliation with LDS......I am thinking of having Don build me a 15/6). The 15/6 would be overkill for your particular application, but the 12/6 (with the 3012LF woofer) would kill!

IMO.

15. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    A 4 ohm Uber 410 sounds great, but pretty big for my gigs. I'm hoping maybe the Uber Quad (same footprint but a little shorter) might be what I'm looking for. We'll see. I' hoping the get one locally soon. I believe one has been ordered.