1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How 'Big' do wizzys sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Oct 31, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I think I have a good idea of the wizzy sound and seems to be what I'm after but I'm concerned about the big/room filling factor of the cabs since they are so small.

Planning on running 2 of them with a powerful amp (400+ or DB750) so I was wondering if that could get into the pant flapping territory with good low end.

Thanks.

2. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    This cab is more midrange forward with a tight punchy low end. If you want a huge low end there may be better choices. I've only used one at a time though I have paired it with other brands of 112's. It's a great cab but I switched to an Epifiani UL-112 because I wanted more 'room fill' in a single cab. There is a limited edition M-line Wizzy out now which is supposed to have more low end.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've gigged several times with two (original) Wizzy's and an iAMP 800. This rig gets extremely loud for its size, and I would describe the sound as very big. True, the Wizzy is more of a full-lower mids and warm upper mids kinda cab, versus the more extreme and deep low end of the Epifani 1x12's. Two Wizzy's with a powerful amp certainly put out lows that exceed what you expect.

The M-line Wizzy is probably even more up your alley. This cab does go very deep (I'll have to do a direct A/B with my Epi T-112's sometime) and has a more low end output. The mids are not as pushed/focused as in the "regular" Wizzy, but it is still a cab that is full through the mids. Two M-line Wizzy's sound extremely big and loud, and they also really love tube amps!

For a "bigger" tone, I'd certainly recommend the M-line, but I think that you'd also be pleasantly surprised with the room-filling abilities of two regular Wizzy's.

Tom.

4. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks for the replies folks.

How limited is/was the run of the M-line? Any chance that they will be put into production or was it just a test run?

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Inactive

Dec 11, 1999

PM sent

6. Two regular Wizzy's will still do very nicely for you...much bigger than they get credit for until someone tries them. Here's a picture of a possible solution:

EArig.jpg

Jay

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I use a pair of "regular" Wizzys with an iAmp 800, and I get all the volume I need. This rig replaced one which consisted of an SWR Goliath Sr. and a great rotating quantity of preamps into a Mackie 1400 power amp.

Adding the second Wizzy makes all the difference in the world, and a pair of them will handle most any reasonable volume gig, IMO. The idea of earthshaking lows is nice, but not that useable in the real stage world....mids are what make your tone present in the mix.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    On the whole, if you have a one high quality compact bass cab, adding another identical cab seems to always equal more than the sum of the parts. For instance, one Acme Low-B2 goes remarkably loud, fat and deep, but add another and the rig becomes effortlessly loud and huge sounding.

One has to wonder how dangerous a three Wizzy stack would be (impedance aside)? I wonder likewise about a third Low-B2...

Alex

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'd like to know how much power these cabs can really take, as I read some of you using an iamp800 with 2 wizzy so your putting 1000w into them:

Where do you have the master volume at?

Can you really crank them?

Do you not constantly worry they are about to blow?

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I crank mine, and have never had a problem. Though I am one to increase volume slowly and carefully, and if I were to hear any breakup (which I don't actually recall in live use), I would back off on the gain.

Tom.

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Inactive

Dec 11, 1999
    Cabs are rated using a continuous sine wave. One rarely uses all the power of an amp. It is difficult (although not impossible) to blow a speaker if your amp has too much power. Much more likely is to blow a speaker with not enough power. As you push an underpowered amp you clip the amp causing driver failure. Using 2 Wizzy’s with an 800 watt amp is totally appropriate

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp

Yeah but is a wizzy, 2 cxl's and an 800 appropriate or better yet 2 cxl's on the 800 and a wizzy (Probably M Line) on an older Iamp600

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, EA designed the Iamp 500 Combo that has a 500w amp paired with one wizzy. So I am assuming it can handle 500w though its rated for 200w. As Tom B. said listening for breakup is the key. I run an Eden WT405 with my pair, which provides 680w at 2ohms.

I have a wizzy stack and I cant imagine needing more volume then they provide. Course, I'm not a metal guy or "turn it up till your ears bleed" kind of player. I just dont think audiences appreciate that level of volume.

The wizzy stack is extremely portable at 17x17x12.5. I stack them both in the front seat of my wife's toyota corolla with no issues.

The wonderful tone they provide is very vintage which is exactly what I like... not alot of highs, but hey, I'm a bass player!

So let's review:

very loud
    very portable
    sound excellent

What more can one ask for?!:bassist:

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm...

wonder what cab was discarded only to be used as the "rack stand"... ;)

15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I seem to recall having read that doubling the speaker surface area quadruples the perception of loudness, but I could be wrong.

16. Good eyes...

That was the Avatar B210 NEO that I've since sold. I still drove it with one channel of the PLX 2402 directly at the drummer for his "bass monitor". Really unnecessary as the Wizzy's do a fantastic job of sitting well in the stage mix.

Having said all that - I'm actually saving all the Wizzy's for jazz and church work, etc. right now. The Dr. Bass is my current "rock" cab - solid, punchy tone that is less articulate and refined as compared to the Wizzy's (all three of them now), but it does the trick for a single cab rock solution (and it handles an obscene amount of power very well).

Jay

17. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    im a doubler and do many gigs where im on upright and electric and have never found a rig that works for both. i use a AI clarus/mline wizzy which is AMAZING for upright but sounds poor for electric(i like a big fat sound on BG and tend to play in pop funk bands). ive been using different cabs with my db750 but always had problems with transport on doubling gigs...cant get my upright and a 410 in my car....

Ive just started using the db750 with my mline and its amazing! really great sound, it think the fact that its so clear brings out the best in the 750 without getting muddy, ive given up on 410s etc... and am getting a normal wizzy 12 (to add a bit more mid and extra volume).....its great to not have to carry so much extra gear about!
    Im ordering from the us but will let you know how i get on when it arrives ;-)

geoff

18. macmrkt

macmrkt Inactive

Dec 4, 2002
    My experience too. The MLine gets the best out of the amp you connect. The bigger, the better it seems! I use for comparative amp sound testing for my personal rigs.

19. balzac

balzac

Aug 25, 2005
    Cairns, Queensland
    I have a regular wizzy right now, and am considering getting a second ... Can anyone tell me whether the reg wizzy will combine well with the M-line, or is it best not to mix and match them? I imagine it would be a best-of-both-worlds scenario, but you never know with these things :)

20. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's odd--I had a totally disappointing experience with the M-Line Wizzy, completely at odds with the descriptions and reviews given by other trusted ears here. I am not dissing the cab, just saying I still don't understand why my experience of it was so different from the majority.