1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How big does the hole need to be for 10s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spaz21387, Sep 21, 2008.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Im building a cab with plans from bfm. And the plans dont say how big to cut the holes for the speakers. I was going to guess and say 9.5 inches but I was scared that I was wrong. Im still in the planning stages. I have the wood cut to size and Im about ready to start.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Are you using an Eminence driver? Their spec sheets give copious information to guide you with mounting.

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    10 inches.

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Does anyone else see the opportunity for a low-brow comment here??:oops:

5. no im pretty sure its less than 10". the type of speaker may influence it, but the empty 2x10 cab i have has holes cut just over 9".

6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    :) i was just getting the dumb answer out of the way! :bag:

7. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm with Sanny, here. I'd say somewhere around 10".

8. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    hahaha

9. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I just turned the speaker over and drew round it to get the outer size, then cut about 1/4" inside that line to get the right size. I was a bit conservative, so I then just sanded it out to make a REALLY snug fit.

No idea what size it actually was - I suspect there's some variation between brands. The one thing better than measuring twice/cutting once is to size to fit. Whatever size my driver was, the hole was the right size.

Ian

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Did your speakers come in a cardboard package?? (If they're new)

Usually every packaging box I've seen a driver come in , sits on a piece of folded cardboard, that has a hole it sits in, try using that?
    Otherwise, do tell which brand of speaker you are using, not every manufacturer has EXACTLY the same suggested size.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    IITP. It's in the plans, the part where it tells you Cut the driver holes to the diameter specified for your drivers on their data sheets.
    BTW, if you do not have the drivers in hand you should not be cutting any holes.
    You should be asking this question, and any others with respect to the cab construction, at
    http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/

12. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I dont have them yet they are on their way though. Ill wait till I get them to cut the holes. They will be eminence basslite 2010s.

13. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The specs are on the Eminence site, but, as Bill says, wait to make the cutout.

You also need to have the driver on hand to mark and drill the mounting holes.

So move on to another part of the cabinet if you can while waiting.

14. I published this on the BFM site about cutting smaller diamter speaker holes in Bill's rear-mounted designs:

One of the BFM forum members constructed this excellent drawing. A picture is worth all the above words.

Link to Drawing

The drawing also shows cutting the baffle hole with a 22-degree router bit. This gives even more meat for a T-nut mounting without cone slap.