How big is the avatar 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Apr 8, 2005.

1. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    I have an avatar 8 ohm 2x10 delta, with a p bass special into a RBI and QSC PLX 1202....i want to get another cab this summer, a 15" but people tell me that a 2x12 is better. I was wondering for those of you with a 2x12 from them, how big it is, like is it managable for a self roadie like i think most of us are.

Also how does it work with a 2x10? OR should i just get the 15"? I really dont like the avatar 15 because its in a huge box it seems. maybe i am wrong.

2. RedVette

Jan 1, 2005
    Medford, OR
  3. The Avatar b115 and b212 are in the same box. It measures about 27"x25"x16". It is the same width and depth as their 2x10 box. The b115 is lighter than the 2x12 but I think both are manageable with one person. Definately lighter than a 4x10.
  4. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i didnt mean that literaly, i was just wonder if it was hard to move by your self, if you used caster, that kind of stuff.
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I want to know if two of them will fit in the back of a Tiburon....
  6. I have the B410 Neo that's the same size only 65Lbs. instead of the B212s 75Lbs,and can move it around by myself pretty easily.I've got removable casters so it's nice to roll around.I think I could do another 10Lbs all right and I'm an old guy.I've been wanting a 212 for a while myself.Avatars Neo 15 looks pretty good too at 50Lbs but I haven't heard one yet.I had a pair of the Avatar 112s so I know they sound good,even one of them would work with your 210.
  7. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I have two Aguilar GS212 cabs. They weigh 70lbs each. 5 less than the Avatar 212. They are pretty managable by myself. BUT, Aggies come with DETACHABLE casters, and I use them. Makes a big difference. The Avatars use non-detachable casters. Oh, I own an Avatar B210 and SB112, too. GREAT cabs paired up. I may ditch one or both of my Aguilars. I just don't need that much cabinetry!!

The 210/112 combo is wonderful. Loud. Clear. Small-ish. Lightweight. And I use either or by itself all the time (210 or 112). I haven't used either of my 212's in quite a while. The 212's Aguilar, Avatar) are GREAT cabs, and I am very much sold on the 12 as a more than suitable replacement for 15's. I have two old Carvin 1x15 cubes and an old Acoustic 2x15 cab, all of which I haven't used in at least 15 years. Went from 2x 410 to 2x 212 to 210/112!!! Now I use my Bass PODxt Pro DI'ed as much as I use my rig!!!
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    If you're some cardboard boxes the same size as the Avatars and see if you can get 'em to fit.

A friend stuffs two Acme B2s, two racks and a pair of basses in the back of his Chrysler Sebring coupe...but the Acmes are smaller than Avatar B212s...
  9. :cool: Avatar makes some nice speaker cabs. But their idea for casters is, well, frankly, dumb. Don't ever put "non-removeable" caster on your cabs. Cabs on casters don't sound as good as cabs sittin' on the floor. Cabs on casters are also, sometimes. a little harder to stuff into small cars, trunks, etc., and when you roll them across wet, muddy sidewalks/streets, you end up with the crap in your car. With removeable casters, you can always remove them for sound, loading, and keeping the crap from getting all over your seat.

There are a number of companies out there making casters. I have some on the bottom of my GB LS-115B that are removeable and don't protrude into the cabinet interior space. They slide into a plate that's screwed to the bottom of the cabinet. They work great.

Buy the Avatars, but look elsewhere for your casters.
  10. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Avatars are VERY manageable. My Neo is easier to move around than the combo amp I have (which is about the same weight). The Avatars are shallow cainets (as say compared to a Peavey or an Eden cab), so they slide easily past a car door. My cab goes into my Buick Century with no problem. The only 4x10 I can think of off the top of my head that might be easier to manage is a Bag End.

Defintely go for the 2x12. I may purchase one myself someday.

I do agree with the consensus on the casters; it seems kind of pointless to have non-removable casters if you plan on stacking cabinets.
  11. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I would definately get the 212. Its lighter than the 410s and you get better low end. Whats even better is that I've heard avatar is making a 212 NEO model which will be even lighter. Its currently at 75 lbs, NEO will be 20 lbs lighter.
  12. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    After moving back and forth from practice to my house a couple times, it really doesn't seem that heavy.

I can fit mine in the back seat of my Tempo easily.

I'm not even going to get into how amazing it sounds.
  13. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Any idea when? :eyebrow: I'm looking at picking up an Avatar cab soon and this would definately meet all my needs and be the one for me.
  14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Your answer is as close as :D