Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How big is the difference between 125 and 300 watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by murdermilk, Sep 5, 2004.

1. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    I was thinking of getting a half stack with a Behringer 300 watt head + avatar cab or whatever I could find used at Guitar Center for myself around Christmas, but I saw this deal on Musicians' Friend that looks promising. The only problem is that 125 watts does not seem like a lot of power.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/480388/ Here is the link.

I want to be able to play with a band, but also have room to expand, which I think the Behringer would be better at, but I'm asking opinions anyway.

2. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    I'd put that at the "you'd probably notice that" level.

At least, that much difference I can convince myself I can feel, even though dB-wise it isn't much. Note, "feel" not "hear".

Probably because the threshold of "not enough" and "just barely enough" is somewhere between those two, for many speakers. Not really a dB difference deal, I think its about 4 dB, not quite 5.

If you are using a big folded horn, both will probably blow you off the planet....its all relative.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a shame that cabinet isn't 4 ohms. 250 watts into 4 tens would be pretty loud.

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I would seriously avoid the backline series of GK. Their main line of heads and cabs sound pretty good, but I could not get a backline to sound good when I tried it. Unless you can get one used.... which is doubtful, because not many people feel as though they're worth the money new.

If your looking to buy something that would just give you enough power from here on out... then you should get a more powerful head or go pre-power. Of course this depends on the type of music you play. I came to find that 350W barely made the cut when I played along with one guitar with loud rock/metal type of distortion. In the end... I had to compete with 2 guitars... and it just wiped me out. Jazz or Blues.... 300W would probably satisfy you for a good while, until the bigger gigs come along.

Also... it depends on if your pressed for cash or not. Seeing as how you were considering a $600 rig... you could probably save up and get a decent pre-power setup. A Solid State Preamp and QSC RMX850 would run about $600 (new). Then an Avatar cab ($240-$350 or so). That would give you 600W with an 8ohm cab. That should be like.... enough to satisfy your power needs for a long, long time. If you should happen to need the full power of the amp, you could pick up another cab and run at 830W.

I would get the B210 or the SB112 first.... simply so you could take it anywhere by yourself. That's always convenient :)

But again, a lot depends on what your music style is, and what kind of budget your working with.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    175 watts............. :p

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    For $600 :rollno:

7. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    I have heard the Behringer head you speak of - live. I think it would be the right amount of power (watts) for your described needs. When I heard it I was so immediately impressed with the bass tones and volume that I went to the stage to investigate. It was throwing through an old Accoustic 2x15 cab. It filled the room with volume with absolutely no PA support. I was impressed because the head only cost 229.00 new. Behringer amps are built in China but engineered in Germany. Ever seen any junk from Germany? Nine! Worlds greatest engineering at work for little $. Avatar would also be a good choice for a carpet covered cab. For about the same $ with same speakers you could also go Dr. Bass cabs with an awesome polymer coating. Good luck! :cool:

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Is there a Dr. Bass website?

9. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    ask embellisher about dr bass cabs, i believe he has a couple.(and he also has other cabs to compare them to) dr bass has a web site although you probably will have to email marc for a current price list and product line. apparently his web skills cannot keep up with his craftmanship. heheheh(i consider that a good thing) as far as the two heads you mentioned i don't have any experience with either but i'm of the mind to go with more power(as much as you can afford)get the best gear you can so you don't get stuck upgrading sooner than later.
    i was considering dr bass cabs for a while and have emailed marc a couple of times. super nice guy and a working bass player who knows what it takes to cut it on stage. however i decided to order a schroeder (21012) as i feel it will suit my needs for a stand alone cab better. can't wait for it to get here.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have a GK 250BL, and I'd say get something bigger that can also do 4 Ohms. Unfortunately, the 250 cant, that's why I'm selling it. However, it sounds very nice - unlike TheChariot said. Try to get a 400RB III or IV used. That should be enough for a while.
    Oh and for your own sake, I'd avoid Behringer. They are not really reliable and they are cheap knockoffs of other reputable makers' designs.
    *waits till flame war begins*

11. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I suggest a Peavey Firebass 700. I'm making payments on a used one that I found (at Music Castle) for $299. I've seen some sites that have them, used, for $350 - $450. Best thing to do would be to look on eBay or do an internet search for "used Firebass 700." Anywho....

The Firebass 700 has TONS of features -- contour, low, mid, high, mid-shift, pre-gain, inputs for post EQ effects, line out, EQ out, built-in defeatable limiter, crossover, DDT speaker protection, all kinds of stuff.

With 700 watts (@ 2 ohms), it definitely has more than enough power. I've heard of people having to turn down the volume so they don't drown everyone out.

Sound? You can get just about any kind of sound from them. Has an excellent, near-perfect sound quality. However, there is some hum as you turn the gain up.

It's dimensions are about 20" x 5" x 13" (W x H x D), so it should fit nicely on top of most cabs. The only downside is that this thing weighs a good 40-50 pounds!!!!!

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. It's best to try out all kinds of stuff before you make your final decision. Nevertheless, the Firebass 700 is an incredible head at an unbelievable price.

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Actually thats a copy of the Ashdown head, and that is English. There's not much German engineering in there, just enough to avoid another lawsuit :rolleyes:
    Behringer has also copied QSC's RMX series poweramps and various mixers and effects - and had a couple of lawsuits...
    Also its made of the cheapest components possible to reduce cost... reducing reliability even more...

13. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Boy, I'm glad I didn't get the Behringer head. I was thinking about it until I read some of the reviews.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nope. Not me. You have me confused with somebody else. At the moment, I don't have any cabs, although my Schroeder 1210 should be here by Wednesday.:hyper:

15. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    sorry dude i realized it wasn't you some time after i posted. i think the guy i'm talking about is emprov

16. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Looks like Dr. Bass cabs are a good buy, but they can't handle the power that Avatars can. Same speakers, too. However, I do like the fact that Dr. Bass cabs are more compact and have the polymer coating, instead of carpet. I wonder if they can custom build a cab with a 60" speaker for me?

*thinks about opening scene of Back to the Future*

Yeah, I'm a total geek....

17. Basspolizei

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Yes, they will make any custom configuration you need. Same Eminence USA speakers as Avatar cabs. Also will do custom colors, sizes, etc for approx. same cost. www.DrBasscabs.com.

18. Basspolizei

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    :eyebrow: If your not cheating, your not trying!

19. :scowl: Wow, combine that with your signature and you sure are a dichotomy... :meh:

20. Basspolizei

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    :smug:Now we realize why your the Golden Boy! It must be your wit?????????? :crying: Humor reigns......... ;)