Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How big is your music archive?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rav, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    How big is your personal music archive?

My wife just recently received an Apple ipod from her boss at work as a promotion present.

I spend the last 3 days ripping in all of our CD's to see if I can fill the little thing up.

I just hit 3800 songs and I'm still ripping I think I'll top out about 4k or so.

How about all of you? How many Songs/CD's do you all keep on hand.

-Rav

2. My current playlist is around 1700 songs.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    What a coincidence. Mine is about 1700. Or just over 5 days of playing time.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Have about 7500 songs at home (about 5000 on the Ipod) all of them are from CD's I own (none taken from internet).

5. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL

Yea I don't have any stray mp3's anymore. I deleted them all and just have what I have the CD's for.

I take that back I have one mp3 I saved, Jann Arden doing leonard cohens "Everybody knows" and thats only becaue I love her version of the song and everytime I try to order a copy of the CD its off of it goes on permanent backorder.

-Rav

6. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    currently at "1855 songs, 4.8 days, 6.35 GB" according to my iTunes. no iPod, it's just my default music player (and it's great for dorms, i can connect with everyone in the building)

I try not to have any strays either, only complete albums in my archive

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    4000 MP3's. Not one of them came from a CD. Well, maybe a handful did.

-Mike

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have made 68 songs, though there are some duplicates in there, so it's probably more like 50ish.

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Not big enough to be considered an "archive" really. I paid for all the music in my collection.

10. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Around 8300, a mixture of .mp3 and .ogg files.

Currently re-ripping all my CDs into .flac format though, need do something with all that disk space...

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Zero - I can't see the point...:confused:

I have thousands of CDs though...:)

Which I can play at home or in my car - why would I spend time and effort putting them on a lower quality medium?

12. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    That's why I've been re-encoding everything to .flac format, as it's completely lossless.

If you've got thousands of CDs, all the more reason to keep them digitally. They'd be far easier to index and find!

I'm also lucky enough to be able to listen to music at work, I'd hate to have to cart CDs between there and home...

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I can do that to, thing is, I don't have to carry around the CDs and risk damaging the CD or the case. I also don't have the inconvenience of having to carry around multiple CDs to cover say an average 9-10 hours day at work.

You bring your entire music collection to my place and I'll bring mine to yours ;)

BTW even though its an inferior medium, I doubt you could tell the difference on your car stereo or most home systems. I can pick it through a good stereo or headphones, but its not signifcant enough to negate the convenience.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I work from home mostly and can listen on my Hi-Fi separates, to uncompressed digital!! Especially useful on my large Classical and Jazz collections:)

Occasionally I have long-ish car journeys like last week and picked a dozen or so CDs from my well-ordered collection for the journey - it just seems insane to me, to go over to another medium just for that!! :meh:

15. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well I guess if you arn't getting invited out very much, it wouldnt be an issue ;)

16. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i have all of my CDs ripped to 192-bit MP3's just for the convenience. i dont mind the lower quality sound, i knew it would happen. if i want to hear the CD version then i put in the CD.

Right now my collection stands at about 90 GB. i dont know how many songs that is, i havent looked at that stat. i have the MP3s that i spent so much time backed up to DVDs though so i never have to spend all that time ripping CDs again.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I haven't counted in years. Probably over 600 CDs...all stashed in various places throughout the house. I keep the most valuable ones in a safe deposit box. Also, I don't do the illegal mp3 thing but any time I come across a band I like offering free .mp3s I download those (for instance...Narud from TB, etc..). Don't know how many of those I have.

brad cook

18. I'm the same way. I love going to band sites and ripping their giveaways...local and underground acts are great for that. I don't have any "illegal" mp3's tho... not when 60-99 cents a track that I really want is, imo, chump change. Other than that, I have about 3500 bought CD's, about 4-500 burn copies and mixxers... and I'm so anal they are alphabetised.
    I need a bigger rack soon.

19. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    5000 songs, 12 days worth of music.

I haven't ripped all of my CDs yet.

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    A few thousand CD's, plus whatever I may have bought online from music services/ downloaded from band websites. I have no idea exactly at this point.