1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How big is your phone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Nov 2, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, I'm due for an upgrade. I went into the US Cell place and had a look around at phones. There are several I like. But I really like the Samsung Note 3. But that sucker is BIG. Any of you guys hauling one around? I feel as though I would get used to the size as I already carry my old Galaxy in my pocket.

Any of you guys carry around a big phone? I just dig the specs on that thing OTHER than the big screen. But I like the big screen too.

Whataya think? Is that a purse phone or can a dude haul around one that big in his pocket?

Edit to add specs as requested:
    Note III specs
    151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm (5.95 x 3.12 x 0.33 in)

Weight 168 g (5.93 oz)

.......Pretty much 6"X 3" and 6 oz

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    If you get a Note the #1 thing you will hear is "That's a big phone!". Have you looked at the Nexus 5? Not to sure of the comparison to the Note, but the N5 probably is equal to but most likely better than the Note.

3. When I got my iPhone 5, I was intrigued by the Android with the HUGE screen, but I was terrified of the battery life, so I passed it up. I was also afraid of not being able to fit the phone in my pocket when I wear tighter pants.

FWIW, my iPhone 5 is just in a thin clip on case. I HATE large cases.

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Bigger phone often means bigger battery, and usually more battery life.

5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I have an iphone 5 paid by the company, my wife has same phone with a prepayment plan of $30 at month. I would not worry about size of the phone but how much you paid.

6. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    I have a Nexus 4, sized much like the Nexus 5. It's a mixed bag. Much of the time, I find it obnoxiously large; making calls feels like holding a CD jewel box up to my ear. But at 54, my reading vision is beginning to fail, which makes the large screen pretty compelling.

I carry it in the back pocket of my Levi's 501s pretty comfortably, though it's not my favorite arrangement.

As with all things, it's a compromise. In many respects, I hate the size of the thing. But I love the lower eye-strain.

7. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    I've been looking at the Sony xperia z, its a fairly large phone, but it claims to have a standby time(Im guessing that means on, but never touching or using it) of 29 days. Pretty impressive considering my phone only about a day or two if I never use it.

8. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Just the phone is about as long as my open hand. The base is significantly bigger though.

I can't really carry it anywhere though as if i get out of the house, the base doesn't get the signal anymore....

9. I have a Note III and love it. Yes it is big but I decided rather than having a Tablet and a phone to combine both. Never had the battery go flat, great to watch YouTube on. I have all my work email and calender linked, drop box as well and have the Bible app for church. If I am jamming with my mates and need to look up a tab the screen is big enough to view and play.

I have adjusted to the size of it, sometimes I use a belt pouch but mostly in the pocket. If I was to replace it it would be with another one.

10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks for weighing in guys! Anyone else?

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Galaxy 4 (the size is pushing it) or HTC One's successor will be my next phone.
    I hate overly huge phones, and I don't need a constant entertainment gadget that swallows up all pocket space. The Note is a real cool gadget, but really is a mini tablet with a phone problem. I'd rather have a powerful 7" or 10" tablet in my bag, than a huge phone.

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've got an iPhone 5. It's about as big as I'd want to go right now. The Note is just too friggin' big to lug around for me.

13. Kano2864212

Kano2864212 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield, MA
    My current phone isn't too big but I have extensively toyed with the note 3 at work and if you use it for media all the time its the best thing ever. I should probably mention that I do work at Best Buy Mobile so I do have plenty of time with most of the current devices.

14. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    This thread needs specs!

Android (Samsung Galaxy)
    4.44 x 2.42 x 0.45 inches (112.8 x 61.5 x 11.5 mm)
    As a bass player, you're interested in weight? :D 4.3 oz.

15. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Many of the basses I have owned have been heavy as crap.

Note III specs
    151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm (5.95 x 3.12 x 0.33 in)

Weight 168 g (5.93 oz)

.......Pretty much 6"X 3" and 6 oz

16. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    i've got a Note 1. it fits in my pocket, but gets soundly mocked by my peers.

17. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Exactly as big as an iPhone 4.

18. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    Don't know the specs, but I've got a Windows phone. It's pretty big.

19. I am a iPhone fanboy and the Nexus 5 really has my attention. If I were to go android, it would be the Nexus 5.

lowsound

20. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    IPhone 4 is a good size for me. Even wearing tight pants (hasn't happened in years) an iPhone is still a good size. One of my coworkers has a Note, and it's a freaking monster. He only puts it in his pocket when going between his truck and whatever establishment his destination is.

Most of the size factor is when you add in a case. I'm actually gonna make a case out of some billet aluminum soon that will be pretty sleek, yet protective.