How big of a gig before you leave it at home.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jun 2, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I was thinking I have a 320w amp right great for all my practices (except small acoustic things I concider it to heavy for that.)

Now when I gig I take just the combo or if it's a bigger gig i'll take my extra cab.

Now all these seem to be with out PA support now there are some local venues that have 3kwatts of power with fall back monitors and everything. Now if there any point in taking an amp to this wouldn't something like a line 6 pod or a decent DI be much better.

I'm even tempted to get something like this for my practices because we have a suitable PA where we practice.

So my question is do you notice that your rig can only play a place so large before you end up relying on the PA. I understand people have 3,000 watt amps but all the volume would be coming from your amp so people at the front are deafened and the people at the back can't hear. So when its gets to this point what do you use to go direct.

Like whats the least amount of amps you can bring to a bigish gig (Large hall 500-1000 people ish)

Does that all make sense?

Thanks for any replys
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I think in these situations most people still bring their amp for stage volume and let the PA handle the rest.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Everything depends on whether the PA system has good monitors. If they can't get a good bass sound on stage you're screwed without an amp.

If you haven't been to the venue before, bringing an amp is good insurance. The only time I don't bring an amp is when I know one will be there for me to use.

The ideal is to keep the stage volume level about the same no matter what venue I play. In larger rooms, the PA carries more of the load. In smaller rooms, the amps fill the room and the PA is for vocals and acoustic instruments only.

For practice, if the band always practices in the same room I'll just get a used beater amp (like an old Peavey or long as it works I could care less what it looks like) and leave it there.
  4. plankspanker04

plankspanker04 Guest

May 6, 2004
    keller texas
    i take enough gear to be prepared for anything.i do alot of different types of gigs and sometime it is not wise to rely on a sound man-unless you know who it is and know he will work with you.there have been times i have taken just enough gear to get by and thought i would rely on some help from a monitor only to regret it and swear id never do it again.other times the monitor sounds so good i didnt even need an amp.i have a stewart/demeter set up and i mix and match amp has alot of watts but its light weight and im never wishing i had more.
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Since I went "lightweight" and traded in my Eden 410 for a pair of EA CXL112s my bases have all been covered.
    1. Small to medium club: 1 -CXL112
    2. Large club: 2 - CXL112s
    3. Huge club or outdoors: 2-CXL112s (for the stage) plus PA.

and, each cabinet is 19x17x15 and 44 lbs. Ya gotta like the new technology...tone AND portability for any situation.
  6. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    When I play a gig I've never played before I bring the following to soundcheck.
    1 ampeg 410
    1 ampeg 115
    1 eden 410
    1 eden 115
    Eden WT800
    Pre Power setup

I have no idea what the room is going to sound like so I take along everything I can so that I can tailor the rig to the room. Normally I'll end up playing with a 410 and a 15 but sometimes 2 15's are the way to go. Just depends on the room.

Last summer I knew every venue we played on tour had good PA support so I travelled with 2 basses in a flightcase a DI and spare strings. Best rig I've had yet. :)
  7. I'm with you only I've switched to Bergi HT/EX112's
  8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    For small to medium gigs with or with out PA support a pair of GS112's will do me. On a larger gig with a loud stage mix I bring my Berg 322. That is all I need!
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If I don't know the venue, I bring the whole shebang, everything I've got. For me, the larger the venue, the more gear. I hate putting my bass through the monitors, I need control, and bass through monitors usually sounds like dookie to me. If my stage sound isn't happenin', then neither is my playin'. :bassist:
  10. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Lots of good advice in this thread. I bring my two 410 cabs everywhere and turn them down to a whisper or up to a roar as needed. Even if I only need one 410 cab for the gig, I want a tweeter that's not aiming at my knee and even if it's superfluous, my bottom 410 serves as a great stand for the top one! ;) :D
  11. No PA

small gigs/club: 2x10" w tweeter
    mid/big halls: 2x10" w tweeter +1x15"

Indoors: 2x10" I use this more as monitor since I know how it sounds and I'm sure I will like it :D
    Outdoors: 2x10" w tweeter +1x15"

No PA outdoors: never seen it, but I suppose I would carry everything I had.

Depending on the cab setting I use just one or two (bi-amped + crossover) channels from my power stage.

Direct signal from Warwick Quadruplet pre's DI

I did played a gig with just the pre and their monitors and it was a good experience, but I also did know they had great gear and that the tech was nice and a real pro.