Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How 'bout them Bengals!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by McHack, Dec 5, 2005.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Slowly, the giant is awakening... 1 by 1, each monkey is being shed from thier backs. I'm really proud of these guys!

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i want corey dillon to be traded back to the bengals! :D

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Meh. Easy schedule will do that. Besides Jacksonville and Steelers who have they beaten worth talking about.

They should pull their next three, but come Week 17 my money is on the Chiefs if Larry Johnson is healthy.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Still impressive.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The Bengals' schedule might look easy on paper, but in a division with the Steelers, the Cleveland and Baltimore Browns, they are out to kill each other any time any of those teams face off.

Carson Palmer is having a breakout year with no 'superstar' receivers (although Johnson and Houshmanzadeh are nothing to sneer at, either).

6. We are pretty fired up around here. Their run defense is still suspect, but I'm confident in saying that nobody in the AFC can stop their offense. Too many guys are playing too well right now. The entire offensive line has played very well as of late. Marvin Lewis is a genius!!!

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Besides Steve Smith (Carolina), I feel Chad Johnson is the second most explosive wide-out playing right now. He is always double covered and he usually can make a play if he gets a ball in his general vicinity. For the season he averages about 15 yards everytime he gets the ball.

They'll make the playoffs, but I don't see anything coming from it. Next year though, I think they will be hellbent for leather on the road to 41.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I guess Carson studying Peyton and the Colt offense, and then cloning it, has paid off. :smug:............................. :D

The above statement is true but thats not really a knock at the Bengals. Carson Palmer is smart guy like Peyton. He knew he wanted to play that type of football and he studied who does it the best.

Talking about no "superstar" receivers... I can remember when Marvin was just considered average. He didn't start to shine until Peyton came to town. Who knows, in a couple of years Johnson and/or Houshmanzadeh might be considered superstars. That is if things keep going the way they have this season. They have to keep working on it just like Peyton, Marvin, Wayne, and Stokley do in the offseason. It looks like Carson has them going the right way though.

9. I'm not about to jump on their bandwagon, but I gotta give coach Lewis and co. credit for turning around such a bad franchise.

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yup, leave it to an ex-Steeler defensive coordinator to turn a crappy team into something good!

:bag:

I wonder what Dom Capers will be doing next year...

11. Sitting at home watching football like the rest of us. Or coaching maybe Division I-AA football.

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I love the naysayers, how they'll always comment on how the Bengals have only beaten teams w/ losing records. Well, this IS true... but people fail to give them credit for having a hand making this reality.

So, lets look at some of the teams they've beaten.

Vikings - oh by the way, they now have a winning record!
    Bears - arent they leading the NFC North, w/ one of the stingiest D's in the league?
    Ravens - TWICE... I dont care whether this team has no offense, they'll stil punch you in the mouth, if you're not prepared.
    Steelers - crazy how they've beaten a returning super bowl contender, & they'er still not getting any respect.

Thier loss to the Jags could've gone either way, & there were a couple of flakey plays that easily could've swung the outcome of that game.

Thier loss to the Colts was a full on shoot out, that came down to the last few minutes. It took the team, which is held by many as the ultimate powerhouse in the league, to stop this team.

Thier first game vs Pittsburg. They simply didnt show up... thier only TRUE failing this season, IMHO.

This is fine. This is good! I hope people continue to discount & over look the Bengals, all the way to the Super Bowl.

13. Let's not forget that they are likely to have as many as 8 guys at the Pro Bowl!

14. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    actually he was only the linebacker's coach in pittsburgh. he was coordinator in Baltimore then Washington.

15. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    No Thanks, we're all glad to see him get a superbowl ring with the Pat's. A big thank you for helping out for so long, But he can do his whinging somewhere else now. I'm happy with Rudi and Chris Perry :)

16. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Don't forget Rudi Johnson. :hyper: