How bout this for a first fanned fret bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2010P, Nov 6, 2017.

1. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    VEey curious to see if anyone here has any experience with this:

Brice HXB2-404 3034 Nat Burl Headless - RondoMusic.com

I'm curious about fanned frets, but would never buy anything too expensive so this seems like a good choice. But I want to hear real-world experiences with the brand. I have bought SX before and thought they were just fine, if a little iffy in the pickup department.
    Thanks!

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    No experience – sorry. But if Edvard Munch was a bass player, I imagine that's exactly what his bass would look like.

article-2188592-148D9553000005DC-817_306x423.jpg

wizay, twinjet, Roberto Nunez and 5 others like this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Looks wrong in so many ways.
    Headless has always been a big turn-off but the top looks like an x-acto knife, the bottom bout on the G-string side looks weird, the neck looks as wide as a 5-string neck, and what's with the carved out section beneath the bridge?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Ikkir and Solarmist like this.
  4. Go to your local GC, and try out some FF basses ... like the Ibanez SR line.
    Trying basses won't cost you anything, and will tell you if FF is for you.

5. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Thanks. I've done that already. I love the feel of the fanned frets, but I don't want to spend the 900 on the Ibby.

6. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
  7. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I found going the fanned fret way very natural. Probably makes sense to go the inexpensive route first to see if it is your cup o' tea. If you find that you like them, then it's time to seriously save up for a Dingwall. I have a 5 string Combustion NG-2 that is an absolute pleasure to play (and keep in mind this is their budget model). I tried out a D-bird at The Bass Shop a couple weeks ago and it was one seriously powerful bass.

Hope the fanned fret thing works for you.

Bones

Funk, wmmj and csc2048b like this.
  8. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Thanks Bud. Well, I don't think I'll ever go the Dingwall route because I am not really willing to spend that much. I do hear they are amazing though. No, I'm just a humble hobbyist with no real need for anything other than budget stuff. Anyhow, looks like not many people so far have any direct experience with the Brice, but I'm gonna go for it once some stuff I have for sale on Reverb sells.

9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

If Rondo gets them in stock again,I may have one one these by tax time.
    defiant63437rnnatbubinga5.jpggug.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    dderatz likes this.
  10. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Sometimes older Combustions come up for sale under $1,000. They are seriously quality instruments. I understand you want to stay with budget instruments right now and that's totally cool. However, if the fanned fret thing seems natural to you, dropping a few extra dollars on a used Dingwall might really take your bass playing to a whole other level.

Have fun with your search.

Bones

Holdsg, Honch, wmmj and 1 other person like this.
  11. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    I tried a combustion once, closed my eyes to see if I could play it. Couldn't, so i guess it wasn't natural for me. I play in the key of C quite often and didn't care for that stretch either. I have friends that love them so it all up to the individual.

12. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Did you close your eyes and successfully play a tune when you picked up your very first bass?
    Or did you have to get used to it?

13. Which string has a scale length of 30"? The website doesn't say. I imagine the G. A 30" E string and even shorter upper strings would seem a strange beast to me.

Mugre

Honch likes this.
  14. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    It probably sucks. $400? LOL

Mechanical likes this.
  15. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I think you will like it. I know I like mine:

IMGP3401a.jpg

One less string and all!

gebass6, kirkdickinson and bobba66 like this.
  16. Charlzm

Charlzm Guest

Mar 25, 2011
    Looks like Brice beat Kiesel to it - I keep hoping there is a fanned-fret Vader in the future. I personally wouldn't want a short scale version, either, but... here's hoping!

Honch likes this.
  17. That is a seriously wacky looking bass. The severe cutout behind the bridge, in order for you to literally get your hands in there to tune it, smacks of them grabbing a body off the shelf and somehow figuring out a way for it to work :rollno:.

RickyT and GlassToMouth like this.
  18. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    That bass is kinda wild.

19. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I want a Dingwall and maybe one of these days I’ll rationalize buying one. I want a Canadian model.

csc2048b likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021