Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How 'Bout this Juzek?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by yesdot, Mar 8, 2004.

1. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Hi... i'm a relative newcomer to the world of URB, and let me just say that i've found your newbie advice most imformative.

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on this Juzek that was recently offered on (yikes!) ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3704960939

Many thanks in advance....

2. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Just out of interest... how could you tell it has an amateur refinish (It does seem to have a high gloss almost furniture schlack(?) appearance...but hard to tell due to poor res images)? Would this refin dramatically effect tone?

Also, why would a "repaired" headstock something to be concerned about (So many variables I suppose...probably not worth the risk in this case)?

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    a) Weird gloss. b) Blotchy. c) Sez, "RESTORED ORIGINAL FINISH" which, coupled with the weird gloss and blotchy effect, translates from EBay seller puffery as "amateur refin."

No way to tell without playing the bass, which is a very frequent refrain around here, eh? However, the original Juzek finish was just fine and this is a plywood bass, so it's essentially guaranteed that this finish "restoration" did not actually help the tone.

Because sometime during your gig it could become spontaneously un-repaired. There's no way to evaluate the work without a detailed physical examination, and the seller's refusal to disclose who did the work renders us unable to gauge the work by reputation.

Well, it's clear that the seller is either puffing big-time or doesn't know basses. I mean, really:
    "APPARENTLY A RARE MODEL THAT WAS ONLY IN PRODUCTION FOR A COUPLE YEARS" Yeah right. Like sixty. And a full production line.

"HAS A SPRUCE PLY TOP WHICH WAS APPARENTLY COSTLY TO MANUFACTURE." As opposed to what, Formica?

"GEARS HAVE BEEN STRIPPED AND POLISHED AND RELAQUERED." Great, you spent time making the hardware shine. But if you're putting lacquer on the gears, should we assume that you used oil varnish for your "finish restoration?"

"ALL THE PROPER MATERIALS GLUES ETC. WERE USED IN THE RESTORATION." Ah but, if you were for real, you would say who did the work, and what work they did.

In short, "Next!"

4. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Many thanks for the translation Sam...A huge help.

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sam, that was one kick-ass post. Very well deciphered!

6. Agreed. Sam'l, you've become ssso........Aggressive in your posts!

7. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    sam that was a great post....have you guys seen the relist....the auction has a buy it now for $2200.....seems a little much for a beat up laminate bass...