Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How broad is broad???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Im looking to buy a new warwick 5 (probably a streamer) and i am wondering how wide are broadnecks?? i know they have 20mm spacing, but are there any other bass i could try which have the same spacing (knowhere near has any decent warwicks nevermind a broadneck to try)

Thanks

2. 20mm is just a touch wider than the 3/4" that's standard on most 4-strings, though the bridge probably allows you to tighten the spacing up to about 3/4", I expect. Of the easily available 5-strings around, I think the Ibanez BTB 5's and the Yamaha 5's are 3/4", which would give you an idea. Just picture the Warwick being a little bit wider. For the 5-string broadnecks, what Warwick's actually doing is sort of like putting 5 strings on one of their 5-string necks, so if you've played a Warwick 6, you'll have some idea how big the BN 5 neck is....

Mike

3. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    thanks for the info.... I'll have to go and try a few out at the weekend.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    do you mean that they are putting 5 strings on the 6 string neck?

steve

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    i think that is what he means.... i noticed the broadneck 5 and the normal 6 neck dimensions are pretty similar.

6. Something like that.

Mike

7. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    lol