1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How broad is broad???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Im looking to buy a new warwick 5 (probably a streamer) and i am wondering how wide are broadnecks?? i know they have 20mm spacing, but are there any other bass i could try which have the same spacing (knowhere near has any decent warwicks nevermind a broadneck to try)

Thanks

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    20mm is just a touch wider than the 3/4" that's standard on most 4-strings, though the bridge probably allows you to tighten the spacing up to about 3/4", I expect. Of the easily available 5-strings around, I think the Ibanez BTB 5's and the Yamaha 5's are 3/4", which would give you an idea. Just picture the Warwick being a little bit wider. For the 5-string broadnecks, what Warwick's actually doing is sort of like putting 5 strings on one of their 5-string necks, so if you've played a Warwick 6, you'll have some idea how big the BN 5 neck is....

Mike

3. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    thanks for the info.... I'll have to go and try a few out at the weekend.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    do you mean that they are putting 5 strings on the 6 string neck?

steve

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    i think that is what he means.... i noticed the broadneck 5 and the normal 6 neck dimensions are pretty similar.

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Something like that.

Mike

7. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    lol