How can a bass go from "meh" to miraculous?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshuaTSP, Feb 25, 2010.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

:meh::meh::meh::confused:
    :(

2. put some boogie in it

3. gahpg

gahpg

Jun 30, 2007
    Brookfield IL
    put clay dots in it

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Setup, pickups, strings... anything really.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    purple and yellow smilies?

6. Carrots instead of pick up poles

7. Can you describe the "meh"?

8. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm talking about my stingray.......:oops: Got it installed with Seymour Duncan pickup and preamp.....

I got it, loved it, then hated it......am selling in........after fixing the previous owner's wiring.......it sounds spectacular. :mad:

Thinking about pulling the ad......

....I had 6 other basses. :yikes:

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    There`s a reason StingRays no longer sound like Rays once they are modded....

10. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    I recently had that experience myself. I have a 1986 G&L Lynx bass (like a 1st version SB-2 plus contoured body) and the clackiness and dominating midrange was driving me crazy. Then I lowered the polepieces into the pickup bodies (they're adjustable), adjusted the neck relief and action height, and got a major improvement. But the biggest change was incidental. I popped the neck to finally determine the date of the bass (May 1986) and discovered that the microtilt adjustment was cranked way out. This is a quick way to change action height without having to diddle with 8 allen heads in the saddles.

Anyway, I lowered the microtilt all the way back into the neck. Then I reattached the neck and for the first time since I've owned it the neck was making full contact with the neck pocket, and BOOM! Here comes the low fundamentals, here comes the growl, there goes the last of the clack, and the sustain on this little red beast is simply phenomenal! I KNEW there was a reason I bought it and it's just one helluva bass. Like a Jazz Bass with an extra shot of testosterone.

P1010182.jpg

11. I just went through the same thing. Got a beautiful burgundy mist jazz and put some D'Addario Chromes on it and just hated the sound. Came close to sending her away when I decided to put some EB Power Slinky's on her. That turned it around quite a bit for me. Still not totally satisfied but like it enough now to keep her and look into getting different pickups for her.

12. I had struggled with my Jazz bass for a long time
    I had some nice meatly sound from her but I had to really dig hard to get it
    it built some mean callouses but still it felt like playing telephone wires on a 2x4

So i got lighter gauge strings 40-100s instead of the 45-105s
    and man my Jazz is the funk machine!!!!

13. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    It actually sounds similar to a stock one......

What's the difference if you have to dial back the treble on a stock preamp? I don't have to touch the SD preamp and it's just right.

14. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Is it for sale?
    [​IMG]

15. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Finding the right strings & getting the right setup. Possibly upgrading pups down the road.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Put in Les Claypool's hands. lol

17. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    So apparently the micro-tilt can also act as a mirco-tone-soak. :scowl: Definitely good to know.

I've had to do my share of tinkering on my '51 reissue. Tried 4 different kinds of flatwound strings, added a different pickup (to replace the upgrade that was already in there), tapped up the middle poles in that, messed w/ saddle height & pickup height, rewired, tried different kinds of foam for muting. That's a lot of poking around but I've been rewarded with some righteous tone nights.

BTW Josh that Warmoth 5'er we traded was a basket case when I got it. And, as with your 'Ray, it just needed to be wired correctly.

18. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Damn, I wanted to be the first one to say give it to the right the player. :(

19. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Just someone who didn't know what they were doing with an iron?
    The tone of the Warmoth is nothing short of wonderful.
    I'm still getting used to the wide neck. :oops:
    How's the 200S treating ya?

20. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Give it a fret job, clean up the neck pocket (a common place to cut corners, I'm starting to discover), put on the right strings, set it up for your needs, and almost any bass starts to feel great and sound better.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021