Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can a SansAmp RBI help me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dee Wurthy, Feb 15, 2004.

1. So I've come to the decision that I really don't need to waste rack space with a bulky tuner and power conditioner. I can use light, small, non-rack alternatives to both.

My question:
    With a Mesa-Boogie M-2000, is it possible for there to be any benefits in using the SansAmp RBI?

It is stated to "optimize your amp's output relative to the P.A. system". Considering that I have been dissatisfied with the direct out on my M-2000 (after recording and hooking it into a PA board), I am wondering if this can be used to further optimize my tone and assist in optimizing my amps output (ect.).

If so, how would this be done? Would I put the RBI into my heads effects loop and use the RBI as the DI to the PA? <-------(would that eliminate the M-2000 preamp(s)?)

:meh: Hmm.

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I haven't tried thew Mesa M-2000 but if it's a tube amp, I dont think you'd need the RBI to make it sound better. If you just don't like the DI, buy an external DI and use it. Art, Behringer, BBE and others make DI's that could help. I've heard that the best ones are the ones that utilize Jensen transformers. The BBE even includes their acclaimed Sonic maximizer circuitry.

More than the RBI, if you still want an external pedal I think the Sansamp Bass Driver DI would serve you better. It's a DI plus you can get great sounds from it using it as another channel or stompbox. It's cheaper (aprox. $190), it doesn't take any rack space and you can use it with any gear you have (it makes cheap combos and amps sound unbelievable).

I hope some of this helped.
    Luck.

3. Yes, I am very happy with my tone already, but I assumed that the RBI would be a way to clean up my M-2000 Post-EQ out...

Is there a DI box that will take the post-eq signal of my M-2000, and just make it more soundboard friendly? I am just one of those bass players who is iffy about somebody else deciding what my PA tone will be.

Thanks!