1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How can I achieve the tone of Simon Gallup in the album Faith of The Cure?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cheche32, Oct 27, 2013.

1. cheche32

cheche32

Jun 25, 2013
    Mexico City
    I think I hear chorus but I may be wrong. Also a lot of presence and a pick. Am I right?

2. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    I can tell you one thing first is that he was using a P-bass at the time. So you might want to start with that...or anything with a P pickup anyway. He's always used a pick. As for his effects on Faith, i'm not sure then but the sound is not consistent on every song. On Holy hour there's definitely some flange, he also uses some on Doubt i'm pretty sure. I think it's pretty straightforward on Primary but Smith is playing a Fender Bass VI on this so hard to tell what is what. I am pretty sure this is chorus on Other Voices.

In general I know Gallup uses various combinations of chorus, flange, delay and distortion but what he precisely uses on Faith i do not know for sure (though i'm at least sure he's not using any distortion on that record).