1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How can I add growl to my MTD Grendel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by richperson, Mar 1, 2005.

1. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    I have an MTD Grendel 5-string which I have really enjoyed playing. It has very nice balance and I have fallen in love with the 35" scale assymetric neck.

However, shortly after I bought it, I played an MTD Kingston and loved the growl that bass produced. I have since enjoyed the sound of MM bases. Just last week I listened to an excellent bass player on a cruise. His bass was tight punchy and had a mild growl in the midrange. I talked to him after the show and he showed me his Warwick Streamer Stage II (5). I loved the sound of this bass also, but I'm wondering if there is a way to get that sound from my Grendel.

Some information: I play 100% fingerstyle and play some mellow and some more alternative rock music. I usually play with mostly the neck jazz PU and use very little of the bridge PU. Since I don't use the bridge PU very much I was considering replacing it with something that I could blend in some of that growly tone I'm looking for. I thought about a basslines jazz pickup, but also considered routing out the top and adding a large coil MM style bridge pickup.

Any suggestions on how I can add growl to my Grendel?

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Feed it Alpo?
    ;)

I am absolutely positively sold on Barts. I have Barts in my Thumb and it GROWLS!

http://www.bartolini.net

:)

Joe.

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'm surprised you aren't getting growl out of your Grendel - I had several MTD Beasts (passive 4-string Czech MTDs similar to your Grendel) and I think that growl was one of their main attributes (growly and punchy are the two words I'd use to characterize them).

When you favor the bridge pickup - does that not give you some growl? (I always favored the neck pickup slightly but it still growled). Also, the Grendel is active, right? Isn't it 2-band? Maybe try backing off the highs and lows some (bump the volume if needed) to bring out more midrange.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Sorry to post the obvious, but have you changes your strings lately?

Mike

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I would first play with your amp EQ, try boosting few dBs in the 400 - 500 hz zone.

Cheers

6. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    I'll try backing down on the T and B and bring in more bridge. And my strings may need some help too. Thanks for the tips guys.

Although, I'd still be interested in suggestions about possible switching over to a more edgy bridge pickup.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the growl you seek is in the bridge pickup, young warrior - ;)

no way are you going to get it if you are favoring the neck pickup.
    the Grendel should growl like a hungry wolf.