Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can I be certain it's a genuine Fender?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin John, May 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A guy I know has offered to get me another bass. We discussed £££ and he said he could possibly get me a MIA J.

How can I tell whether or not it really is what it says on the headstock? You hear so many stories of so-called Fenders being made up of parts from other instruments that may or may not be of Fender origin.

I don't want to part with my hard earned only to find I've been ripped off.

Is there any way to be really sure that the bass is as originally manufactured, and that if it says 'Made in USA' on the headstock, that's exactly what it is?

Thanks guys.

Rockin John.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Unfortunately, there's no way to be completely sure. Fender suffers more than others from forgeries, if only because their instruments are so coveted in collectors' circles. You should be able to locate a serial number on the headstock (front if MIM, back if MIA). Of course, the neck could have been grafted onto a different body. Or the serial number could have been forged.

Take a chance to look it over before you buy. A lot of forgeries are poorly made and designed only to fool nonmusicians, ie. pawnshop owners. Such defects should be pretty easy to spot, considering that MIA Jazzes are usually pretty well built.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, John, since you've now posted the same thread in the "Basses" forum, I see no reason to keep this thread open.

Will C.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.