How can i bend my pinky without bending my ring finger?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kronus909, Aug 10, 2004.

1. kronus909

Aug 10, 2004
    I really want to try some of those excercises on , but you can't really do most of those exercises , because they all require that your pinky to be independent from your ring finger, i.e. the pencil pushups and finger bends. Any one have any ideas ? or exercises to try?
  2. Hmm, I guess it would take a lot of practice, but I don't think it's such a big deal. Each of my fingers moves 1 or 2 other fingers when I bend it (even bending my index bends my middle slightly). It's more about reducing the bend, and again, it'll just take practice. Ironically my right hand pinky is fully independent, but my left hand isn't. Maybe it's because I'm right handed and use my right pinky more. Just try different exercises (including on bass) and you'll get more independent.
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't think that it is physiologically possible to do that. The tendons of the hand are made and constructed in such a way that the fingers are not totally independent from the others.

A fun little trick:

Put your hand palm down on a flat surface, ie a table. Curl your middle finger under your hand so that the middle bone of the finger is flat against the surface. Without lifting your palm or middle finger, try to lift your ring finger.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ow. That doesn't work. Cool stuff. If you ever look at a picture of the tendons in the hand in n anatomy book, you will see why this is. There are ligaments going across all the bones in the palm of your hand.
  5. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I can almost get that to work...I mean, I can get my ring finger about a half inch up off the table, but ti doesn't feel good.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My finger independence is kind of weird, I can move all my fingers pretty much fully independently of eachother, but only in some directions.
  7. Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    I'm sure if you practice it you'll be able to bend your pinky with out bending your ring finger. I'm able to do it on my right hand, but can't do it on my left... which does me no good since I'm right handed.

I used to do a lot of finger independence exercise from my piano days. I should probably get back to those, and I'm sure they'd help you as well.
  8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    It took me at least an hour of trying the pencil push-ups before I was able to do 1. Like everything else, it takes practice, practice, practice.

I'm looking for finger independance also. If that doesn't work, then I'll cut off my ring finger and work on Carol Kaye's fingering style. :)
  9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i cant even move my pinky all the way curled in if im hlding my ringfinger straight, i think theyre just connected in a special way so its impossible.
  10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

Arrrrr!! %#$*& that hurt!!!

Thanks Nick. :mad:
  11. kronus909

Aug 10, 2004
    Well its possible because on the site he does it and johnny carson does it in the interview
  12. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I know! I tried that and it felt like someone drove a nail into my knuckle! :mad:
  13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  14. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I'm able to wag each finger independently at the middle knuckle. It wasn't always that way; it came with practice. I just don't know how much it's improved my playing. :)

I bet if you do this a few times a day for a few days, you'll be able to move that ring finger farther. Tendons and ligaments can be streched with excersize. How often does the average person need to move the ring finger in that way? Just curious....

15. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Pfft. I can do that. Lift your ring finger with your pinky :D
    So, where can I find these excercises?
  16. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Ummm, just like the first post says. ;)
  17. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Pencil pushups? Why?
  18. I guess you guys already saw this, anyway, Google shows this:

Interesting ;)
  19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Wouldn't it be easier just to play bass for an extra 30 minutes a day? You already have all the strength you need to play electric bass.
  20. Kinda of the same with me.

I can independently move middle or last knuckle of my fingers...except for the pinky. Damn Pinky! :crying:

Granted, I can only get about a 45 deg bend on the end knuckles. It's an odd-feeling effort to do, as I have to put more muscle/thought into not moving the middle, rather than moving the end.