How can I cut a vinyl record?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by leanne, Oct 18, 2004.

1. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I mean this literally, what kind of tool do I need to cut records? Ideally, I'd like to be able to, say, cut a hole out of the center of an album, like where the label is, or maybe a rectangle, without having to come in from the edge. The cleaner the cut, the better.

How could I do this without shattering it, is it possible? I'd also like to be able to make small holes, like for tiny screws, but that's not very important. I don't really have any tools to experiment with.
  2. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    a table mounted high speed router with a small bit or a dremmel tool would be your best bet. ask a freind with a wood working shop to help out.
  3. A scribing hole saw on a drill. It's an adjustable cutter on a square rod that moves in and out to create the diameter you want....the correct size bit goes into the hole already in the record, and the cutter does the rest. Pretty clean, minimal shearing.

I have a friend that does this to make clocks. They come out awesome.

I have Cream's "Disraeli Gears" on my wall right now.

This place, and any reputable hardware store sells them. I link this so you get an idea of what I'm talking about:

Ceiling hole saws work too, but are hard to handle, and not as cleans a cut.
  4. You might try a, umm, oh damn, what's the word? It's a drill bit kinda like a spade bit, but without the rip out problems....

Forsner bit!! That's it. A Forsner bit. I don't know if you can get them by them selves, I think it's just as a big set.

I used one to drill the pilot holes for my new pup hole on my P-bass. It's not that hard.

Rock on