Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can I down-tune the most without getting floppy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Grendal's daddy, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    I have a 4 string. I bought a 5 string set and dropped the G. Now I am tuned to A, D, G, C. I want it LOWER without getting floppy strings or sound. What can I do? I already use a sub for an amp.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Try using a very heavy gauge string, i.e .50, .70, .95, .115 & a .135.With a heaveir tension string you will have more tension on the string which leads to a less floppy, tighter string.

3. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    I already have a 130 gauge A string, i forget what the others are.

4. If u want lower than A, god forbid, get the heaviest damn string u can find. I think the heaviest is .145

5. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    If I get a 145, What should the other gauges be? My goal in life is to get that thing down to an E. I know that I could get an octave pedal, but I have something against synthasized sounds.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You'll hardly be able to hear the E, if at all. I've heard of strings made up to .180, but depending on what bass you have, youll NEVER get that E to sounds good or not be floppy.

Besides that, your sub wont be able to handle it. With the .145, the lowest youll be able to go without floppiness is probably G or G#. The E though is not feasible, i would think.

Why do you want to tune so low, anyway?

7. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    I have no idea. I just have an obsession with deep, dark tone, and sub sounds. Would the 180 bend my neck?

8. it won't hurt your neck if you tune it that low.

look, i think you should just drop the idea. to make that sound any good at all, you'll need a very powerful amp and lots of big speakers to get as much headroom and air moving as you can.

i would advise you to stick to the low B. otherwise your sound will be a mixture of mud and crap. IMO.

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, the .180 wont bend your neck. Besides not being able to find it, it will have little to no tension at all!

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Your current strings should be good, just raise your bridge.

(It's the fastest, easiest, and most direct way I can think of to increase tension. And no your neck shouldn't bend unless you want CRAZY tension... If you do, then expect to push down like 4 inches to actually hit your fretboard... haha)

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    First, put a 36-inch or 37-inch neck on it. Then get one of those .150's that John uses. That'll be about the best you can do, then you're just going to spend a lot of time bitching about how you can't get the sound you're looking for, without ever realizing that it's because you can't. That low E has a frequency of 20 hz, about the same frequency as a kick drum. Why don't you just get a kick drum and play along with yourself? It makes a little more sense. Also, I don't know of any octavers that'll track anything much lower that an open A string (55 hz), and only the good ones (maybe an EBS) go that low. This whole thing is ALMOST as silly as that guy that pushed his tone controls back into the cavity, then put black tape over the holes. How about just learn to play bass? Or are you trying to out-Fieldy Fieldy?

12. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    YESH!
    I am trying to out do Fieldy! But that is just a sub-objective. Right now I just want a deep tone and extreme low sound.

Thanks 'yall

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, that wouldnt work. And using heavier strings (to tune lower) decreases tension on the neck.

Grendal, its not going to work. I think Fieldy wins this one.

14. Just a minor correction, Angus: Increasing string guage will increase the tension at a given pitch. for instance, a .110 E string will have more tension on it than a .105 E string at that pitch. But you're absolutely right about raising the saddles on the bridge. That will have absolutely NO effect on tension.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    When i said "using heavier strings (to tune lower)" i meant using, for example:

100 for E
    110 for D
    120 for C
    130 for B

Etc.

I know increasing guage to the same given pitch tightens it! I just mean going heavier so you can go lower in pitch AS you go heavier.

16. Sorry man, I wasn't quite sure what you were trying to get at. No worries :D

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Why not just get the Schecter Scorpion?

18. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    What is the Schecter Scorpion?

19. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    Oh, dude. It's nice. (I just checked it out) But I don't have that kind of money at my disposal.

20. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Wow! This whole low thing has gotten way out of hand.