1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How can I EQ my amp to balance out the heavy mids of the SD SPB2 pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sean775, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I put Seymour Duncan SPB2s in my P Bass because I was playing hard rock and grunge for awhile, but I’d like to start using that bass again for other types of music. What can I do (eq-wise) to make them sound more like standard P Bass pups?

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Well, ideally, you'd have some sort of parametric mid control, and experiment for what frequency sounds the be best for you- you have to get rid of quite a bit of mids. It helps if you can sweep the frequencies, though.

3. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    So should I try by lowering the mids a little on my amp and boasting the bass a bit?

4. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    I'd say lower the mids and turn the volume up to compensate, that'll bring out the highs and lows that are already there, and may work to negate the excessive mid problem you're having.

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    If your amp has a “Contour” or “Shape” control, that may help tame the midrange.

6. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Replace it with an SPB-1....I did that and it was night and day.

nolezmaj likes this.
  7. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Well, that is an easy solution :)
    But yeah, lower the mids, and boost the treble and bass a bit. Bump up the volume to compensate. A parametric or graphic EQ pedal will help, too. But only if you already own one.

8. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    So if I startby putting my eq knobs all at 12oclock, how should I configure them to make them similar to a standard P Bass tone? High and low mids at 11 and bass and treble at 1?

Zoobiedood likes this.
  9. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    For EQ, just turn the knobs and see what that does to the sound. There’s no magic formula. I prefer cutting, so I’d just mess with cutting the mids for now. If that doesn’t do, tweak bass and treble.

You could also try the pickup in parallel, that takes out some mids, but I’m not sure how well that works. Maybe some scooped sounding strings would help further...

10. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    A good place to start. But do this while listening to your ideal P-bass tone, and if you have to lower the mids more, don't be afraid to do it.

11. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I just don’t want to take them out completely. I think my ideal tone would be a little more mids than bass, and a little more bass than treble

12. Zoobiedood

Sep 1, 2015
    Don't forget, the way vintage pickups react isn't just sound, it is feel. Hotter pickups compress more, while vintage ones are more touch-sensitive.

IronLung1986 likes this.
  13. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    What happens if you lower the pickups about as far as they will go?

Also, try a lighter plucking technique. For me as long as I don't dig in with the SPB-2 the mids stay controlled. Dig in and they get quite aggressive.

sikamikanico likes this.