How can I figure out what wood my bass is made of?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Jan 11, 2005.

1. The title prety much says it all.

Its a Bass Collection SB100, and its nowhere on the internet.
  2. i believe warmoth has pictures of various woods
  3. unfortunatly for this purpose, my bass is completely blue, except for the fretboard, which i know is rosewood.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If it has a bolt on neck, you can remove the strings and then remove the neck. Pretty often at least part of the wood in the neck pocket is unfinished or only has wood filler. You might could tell what kind of wood it is.

What country is it made in, and how much was it new? We can make some pretty good guesses based on that information.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    im gonna guess poplar or basswood.more info would help.
  6. Well, its from a Japanese company that went out of buisiness in the early nineties, SGC Nanyo. It doesn't say where it was made other then 'Produced by SGC Nanyo'. The electronics are good quality and the soldering is especially good for a bass, so it doesn't seem to me like a 'Cheapo'. I love the tone to death. Weight wise, the whole thing weighs a little less then my Squier 5-String P-Bass. I opened up the electronics compartment, and the wood in there is painted! But from the screw holes could tell it wasn't MDF or Plywood, which I feared, despite the nice tone. It kinda smells like pine, but then again, I don't know much about woods, as far as I know it could be anyhting....Its has a rather lightweight body so you don't quite get the super fat tone unamped, but this is made up for by excellent active electronics and easy playability. It may be basswood, cause its really light, again, I'm not sure. It stay in tune for everr, and the neck hasn't warped one nanoinch since i bought it and its been on planes hot cold etc.. I've read that other basses from this company have maple graphite reinforced necks..I dunno..
  7. I bought new in Portugal for about $770 some years ago, this was already some years after the company went out of buisiness...(Note, I'm using current exchange rates.)
  8. two words: core sample.

um... just kidding.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If it is lightweight, it is most likely basswood. There is also a chance it could be agathis, and a very slim chance it could be alder.
  10. Well, its a dark wood, not light coloured. Its dar borwn, with ever so little red, kinda like my rosewood fretboard actually.
  11. dark brown can be walnut
    dark brown with a little red can be mahogany
    purplish is usually purple heart.'s hard....

how about some photos?
  12. I can't get picture without taking off my strings and that such a bitch....But I'll do it later, pictures in 2.5hours.
  13. catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK