1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How can I fix Back Bowing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sleazegeneratio, Jul 16, 2012.

1. sleazegeneratio

sleazegeneratio

Apr 10, 2012
    so I had just painted my bass and put strings on it and noticed they just lay on the fret board. I cam here last night and some posts said the culprit was probably just paint in the pocket. So ive sanded out all the paint and have determined it is indeed....back bow *DUM DUM DUUUUMMMM* How do I fix this issue?

2. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Truss rod adjustment.

3. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I'd tune it to one note above pitch and let it set for a day or two. If that doesn't work I'd make the TR adjustment as advised. If you make the TR adjustment first you'll probably have to take it back the other way in a day or two.

On a side note, I just "fixed" an acoustic guitar for a guy. Said that all of a sudden the strings were laying on the neck. Found out he'd left it in his car for two days in +100degF weather. My fix was to let it sit in a 72deg room for a day and and a half so it could come back to normal. Charged him $10 for the bit of advice to not do that again.

mech

4. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    First before you get reprimanded, be careful with double posting two different threads about the same subject. I can't be sure you'r head will be eaten but I've heard others act as if the world may end because of it.

I don't think the mods appreciate it either, I've been wrong before. No reason to assume now is any different. Just a friendly heads up.

As far as your neck issue.

I'm pretty sure everyone has given you solid advice.

Either you painted inside the neck pocket and have changed the pitch of the neck.
    Think like the paint is a shim. Well putting a shim in the pocket is going to raise the heel of the neck and drop the headstock.

Quite possible the paint is acting like a shim if it's thick.
    However I'm assuming your bridge and neck pocket both raised by the same amount.
    Soooo. Who knows
    Or you've caked it up on the sides of the pocket and it's not allowing the neck to seat properly in the pocket.
    Or both.

Remove the paint from the pocket, DON'T OVER SAND the pocket, just get it back to level I wouldn't even try to get all the paint out just where it's to the high spots and try fitting the neck. Otherwise your gonna have your action to high or too much gap along the sides allowing the neck to shift.

The other possibility you were told about was letting it sit w/o string tension and more than likely not relieving the truss rod.

Not sure if it was covered but just try letting it sit tuned as best you can get it for a day or two. It may correct itself.

If all else fails you can try loosening the truss rod.
    1/4 turn at a time and recheck and let it sit a while, if it's still not right try another 1/4 turn.
    Probably going to be counter clockwise to loosen it. But you'll have to ask someone that knows your bass. Not sure if any companies did any reverse threading on these things??????

You may also be able to raise your saddles (did you mess with them at all during disassembly?)

Specifically WHERE is the contact at on the neck???

Are the strings touching all the way down the neck?
    Or is it just around the neck pocket area?

Good luck I hope you get it figured out, nothing worse than a new paint Job only to find out it was all for nothing.

It's like being all dressed up with no place to go.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

He did remove the paint already.

Let me ask, are the neck fasteners screws (not bolts)? If so are the holes in the body drilled so the screws only thread into the neck? If not, it could be that the neck is not flat in the pocket. Look for gaps in the joint. If this is the case, remove the neck and drill the body so the screws pass cleanly through.

6. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Has he said if it worked?

Sorry lol and I read all that too. :) Ahh gotta love getting lost in your own thoughts.