1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How can I fix it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dirtdobber, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber

Feb 18, 2008
    Lenoir,NC
    I recently bought a fender rumble 100/115. I really can't complain too much about it.The horn has got a hiss but I turned it down abit,problem solved. However I have aquired some "rumble" or vibration. I tightend all the scews I could see,Any other suggestions?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Does it have a cooling fan?

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber

Feb 18, 2008
    Lenoir,NC
    No,regretfully.

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Does firmly pressing anywhere on your combo seem to reduce the rattle?

I once had a slightly defective speaker cause a sound best described as cab rattle.
    I've also found both very loose speaker wire connections and debris on the inside edge of the speaker cone causing very similar symptoms.

You could (carefully) pop the speaker out and take a really good look/feel inside.
    Any stray wood chips/hardware rattling around in there?
    Is the box itself structurally loose anywhere?
    Use your knuckle and firmly tap all over the inside. Listen (and more importantly feel) for rattles or anything loose.

(of course it might be something loose in the amp portion too)

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber

Feb 18, 2008
    Lenoir,NC
    Thanks, so much, for the advice,I'll try to incorporate your advice right now.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Also sounds to me (although I actually can't hear you) like screws/bolts/hardware working it's way loose. If there is a metal grill over your speaker, that's a likely suspect, anything else that has a screw or bolt in it should be checked as well. Check the speaker mounting bolts too, shouldn't be cranked down putting stress on the speaker frame but should be tight, that's a little past snug.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, screws and bolts working loose is a common problem as is a metal grill. It takes time and patience to locate some of these rattles. You've got a whole list of things to try.

8. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    If nothing else works Get some wood glue and take the speaker out and glue all the seams you can get at in each position and let it dry it may take a couple of days to complete and let it cure but it will tighten up the cab itself and stop any pieces from vibrating.

9. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    This may seem like a strange question: Are you sure it's the combo that's "rumbling"? I had a few customers (I used to work in a music store) that thought they had the same problem. After further investigation they found that items in their room were shaking and making noise. They had a hard time separating the sounds when the amp's volume was loud.

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber

Feb 18, 2008
    Lenoir,NC
    Well I have,so far, took the speaker out of the cab and cleaned it down to the last speck of dust.There actually was a loose speaker wire, I simply crimped it a touch tighter. This cab has the light strip that lights as you play.So, I snugged those up. Put the speaker back in,making sure to tighten everthing as evenly as I could as well has going over evey screw,nut ,and bolt that is visible. Walked around the room duct-taping everything that could possible vibrate or move,even as far as the heat registers. Picked up the bass,plucked a low E and.......well.....no "cab rattle".
    Thanks for all yalls help!