Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Can I Gain Better Control When Sliding?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CJK84, Feb 7, 2005.

1. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I nearly always slide with my pinky - and then I struggle with control. (while writing this, I just realized that I should explore sliding with i, m, or r).

Anyway, recently I've thought of reinforcing the pinky with the ring finger when sliding - I believe this is similar to the technique known as the Simandl approach for upright.

Anyone use the r to reinforce p when sliding?

I've tried it for the first time today and it seems like it helps sometimes, but it's still so new that it feels really unnatural.

Anyone help me here?

2. Personally I slide with my index finger, but trying it out right now, I have no problem using my pinky, either.

So try using your index finger to slide and see if that helps any.

3. I usually slide with the tip of my ring finger or index finger. gives me a LOT more control than a pinky slide would. Easiest to do would be index, imho.

4. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I use my index or middle finger for slides. Pinky only when I am playing something that is difficult to get my dominant fingers on.

5. LARUMBLE

LARUMBLE

Feb 11, 2005
    practice

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

Just practice sliding, dude. I slide with my pinky all the time...it's just getting the strength, control, and independence from other fingers. Practice.

7. exactly what i was going to post.

i can slide with all my fingers, but it doesnt make much sense to slide with your pinky unless you had to just because of finger or hand position.