How can I get a better tone for rockabilly double bass tone ? pedals,effects vs

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by winterrr, Oct 14, 2015.

1. winterrr

winterrr

Dec 29, 2009
    how can I get a better tone for rockabilly double bass tone ? pedals,effects vs.lee rocker and pete turland tone

2. winterrr

winterrr

Dec 29, 2009
    only i have shadow sh-sb2 double bass pickup.

ToP fan likes this.
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Are trying to do this on an electric bass, or on an upright? If you're on an upright, you might post over in the Double Bass side of the board:
    General Forums [DB] | TalkBass.com

4. That's not the best pickup out there. I would recommend a Fonokraft or an Underwood with one of the elements clipped off. The K&K is also a popular choice, especially if you want a separate pickup for the click.

Are you using a preamp?

This thread should get moved to the DB side.

5. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I prefer a K&K Bass Max pickup which I find reduces problems with feedback, and I like the tone. The single piezo picks up the click well enough for me, and I like the single piezo system for simplicity. I also used a high-pass-filter preamp to further reduce feedback problems.

I think Lee Rocker uses magnetic pickups so that's gonna be a lot different than Pete Turland who I think used an Underwood at one point in time. The Underwood fits into the bridge wing just like the K&K Bass Max.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Finding one's personal holy grail double bass tone is an amazingly difficult thing to do, IMO.
    -everything- is part of the equation.
    your hands, strings, bridge, string height, the bass itself, what pickup, what preamp, what amp, what speakers....
    amazingly complex problem. virtually no two guys do it the same way.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  7. winterrr

winterrr

Dec 29, 2009
    thanks for reply

themarshall likes this.
  8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    for what it's worth, I run a K&K bassmax pickup, and an LR Baggs paracoustic preamp.

Capt.Obvious likes this.
  9. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    When I was playing a lot of rockabilly, I was using a bassmax, which has a nice balance between the note and fingerboard sound/click. I was using a fdeck hfp pre, and whatever backline amp was provided. Personally, my favorites tended to be GKs with 10" speakers (2x10 for little gigs, 4x10 for big stages and loud drummers.) That being said, I never got a really good slap tone amplified until I was able to pull a nice one acoustically. While amps, strings, and pickups can help, with any piezo/mic setup you only really get out what you put in...

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    that K&K system with the separate element at the end of the fingerboard ,and two channel/blend preamp is nice, if you're all into that click thing and want to go to that much trouble

11. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    If you are already using something bridge-wing like the bassmax or underwood, you are already getting a pretty decent click, unless you are looking for that rumbling typewriter psychobilly tone. The clicky (and multichannel pre it requires) starts to really matter when you want to use a magnetic pickup, which might not pick up enough fingerboard sound for slap bass alone.

12. winterrr

winterrr

Dec 29, 2009
    kksound rockabilly master I used but I did not like the sound !

13. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I use a pretty simple setup, and it works well enough for rockabilly and everything else for me. Full Circle pickup -> Fdeck -> amplifier. Sometimes wireless, sometimes not. Feedback can be a problem, but that's a different issue. I get enough click from the Full Circle that I don't feel like there's any need for another pickup anywhere. If you are going for a psychobilly sound or use weed whackers, that setup might not work as well. One last thing - I sometimes use the amp's eq to augment the treble end of things to make the click come out clearer, and the amps I use for this have tweeters.

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Two local rockabilly guys who have great tone...both using Kays...use just the Underwood with only one element mounted, into an EQ pedal and into the amp.

winterrr likes this.
  15. winterrr

winterrr

Dec 29, 2009
    Is it necessary to use nylon rockabilly double bass strings ?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    No. Some folks like them, but I use steels and I think I sound good :D Others use gut strings and they sound good as well. All depends on your tastes.

17. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    A magnetic pickup is a good solution for the volume before feedback problem. Then use a piezo to blend in the finger and string noise to make it sound more like an upright. A preamp that can blend the two signals is really helpful to get the right balance depending on stage, setup and volume. That worked for me, YRMV.

winterrr likes this.
  18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I neither liked the tone, nor the tension of those. blech.
    ymmv.

winterrr likes this.
  19. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    What type of strings are you using now? Strings seem to be a matter of taste. I like the Innovation Rockabilly's. If you use a magnetic pickup then obviously you need steel strings.

winterrr likes this.
  20. BASS! Long time no see.

Hope you're doing well. I was back home for the summer and was there for Saskatoonberry season for the first time in decades. Yum!

To the OP...

For my slapping duties I've got a semi-solid (ply), Underwood and was on Evah solo set tuned down to standard. However, I stepped down the slippery slope of trying different strings and have been using Super-Nils for nearly two years now. When I first put them on, the Nils sounded nasal compared to my Evah Solos; yet friends and complete strangers complemented my tone, unsolicited! The strings either broke in, or I got used to their nasality – like how your nose 'aclimates' to a smelly room after a while.

Looking at trying Zyex on my carved-top... some other options may present themselves soon.

So, Winterrr, I recommend you read lots, then read some more and after that keep reading... then you can make an informed choice when purchasing strings, pickups etc and hopefully get an acceptable sound if not one you like.

Good luck in the tonequest

FF

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021