How can I get a better tone for rockabilly double bass tone ? pedals,effects vs

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by winterrr, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I had Evah Pirazzos on my bass for several years, and they finally got to the point that they were so dead that I coudln't squeak by with them any more. Curiosity got the better of me and I spent the extra $100 on an Evah slap set, which has gut D and G strings. I haven't decided if they sound all that much better, but I'm finding them easier to play.

2. cykogrilla

cykogrilla

Oct 6, 2015
    If you want to go with weedwackers or the gut sound but can't afford them, I'd go with Superior's. That's what I'm running now until I can justify guts. I have the K&K pickup set as well as Vic's pickups (from Koffin Kats). Vic's are a bit hotter and I actually keep the fingerboard pickup turned off. I think they sound better than the K&K. I'm running the K&K preamp through the FDeck HPF. I don't like the coloring that the K&K preamp adds but it's necessary to get the piezo pickups up to volume. The FDeck helps give you a little more boom.

I'm considering switching the K&K preamp to an LR Baggs.

Also, I've looked at Underwoods and was wondering if they're really worth the $220?

HauntedDave likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Now that you guys brought up this thread again, I did a gig at the Mohegan Sun Arena a couple weeks ago backing up The Original Comets for a few songs, and they supplied me an Engelhardt with LaBella White Nylons, and they weren't bad at all. And just as soon as I finished playing, I put the bass back in that hideously bad stand they supplied, and it fell off 10 seconds later and the neck popped out of the joint. Was not the first time it happened. I saw an earlier repair for the same thing on it.

4. I wouldn't use the stand, even if they demanded it nicely...

JimmyM likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
  6. Yup, I've got that stand. It's actually okay so long as there isn't a breeze from someone walking past it or breathing in the same room, so long as the rotational spin of the earth remains dead constant and most of all so long as you don't look at it funny... it gets really uptight if you question its abilities = instant ejection of bass.

What can I say, I was young & naive, the seductive chromey thing was on sale, we'd both had too much w(h)ine...

JimmyM likes this.
  7. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I love my Hercules stand. If I got a little creative with canvas I could turn that thing into a patio chair.

Another vote for the bassmax here. I'm gonna try the koffin cat rig soon but I am very happy with my bassmax compared to my shadow or my Krivo. (probably sell those soon)

edit: I wish I'd known you were at Mohegan, I would've come checked it out since the wife and I have been thinking about going down there for a night

JimmyM likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021