How can I get a good Primus effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by brink22, Feb 11, 2004.

1. brink22

Oct 5, 2003
    What effect does Claypool use for his unique sound?
  2. I think most of Claypools wierd sound comes from him just playing. I mean the guy is quick and plays up the neck alot too. :bassist:
  3. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Although Claypool's sound is definitely partly due to his style, his rig also plays a key part I's Les' rig from Bass Guitar Magazine (as of December 2003)

here goes:
    (2) Carl Thompson 4 String
    Carl Thompson 6 String (says: Famous "Rainbow Bass")
    Carl Thompson Piccolo Bass w/ tremolo bar
    the list goes on.....

Roundwound Carl Thompson's on everything (light Gauge)

Line 6 Distortion and Delay Modelers

a pair of Tech 21 SansAmps (each with a different clean tone)

Boomerang Sampler

DBX 160A Compressor

2 Aspect Design Labs True Bypass Double Switchboxes to "eliminate noisy pedals in the signal path when not in use"

Ampeg SVT Pro 4
    Ampeg SVT Pro 5
    (2) Ampeg 4x10
    (2) Ampeg 2x15

* says that "in the studio, Les often uses a SansAmp Bass Driver fed into his vintage API Recording Console

There you how he sets it all up is unknown to me, but at least you know the gear

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Don't forget his trusty ADA mp-1....

5. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    Effects are usually a song by song thing. Any specifics about what songs.

One thing to maybe point out is that he plays fretless and gets a really unique sound on songs like Jerry Was A Race Car Driver.

Sorry, I should clarify, I mean he plays fretless one some songs. I made it sound like all the time.
  6. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    Yeah, really, depends what Claypool tone you're looking for. EMG DCs would be a step in the right direction though. I can nail frizzle fry-esqe sounds with an svt pro and some decent humbuckers.