How can I get better at BASS????????????????

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Flea_Ament, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Flea_Ament

Jan 7, 2002
    Hello.......I have been playing bass for about 6 months. I have taught myself the whole time. I not a great player but I'm at the point where I can't get any better. I'm gettin sick of gettin tabs off the internet that are completely wrong and wastin my time with that. Do you think that it's worth buying any books or videos. If so which ones? I know the basic stuff so I don't need beginner books. I play by finger and by pick. Or is there another way that I can progress in advancing.

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.:confused:
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Take a few lessons from a GREAT teacher. A great teacher will not only make sure your technique is good, but will inspire you to greatness. There are few really good books for players of your ability. Check out the Musicians Institute's books, the Mastering Electric Bass series by David Overthrow. A great referance is

I do not think that videos give enough foundation. I have seen too many players who can cop all the Wooten stuff (from his videos) but have no ideas of what they are really playing.

Once again, a teacher can put this all in perspective, give you the foundation to grow on.