Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can I get better at bss???????????????

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Flea_Ament, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Flea_Ament

Flea_Ament

Jan 7, 2002
    Hello.......I have been playing bass for about 6 months. I have taught myself the whole time. I not a great player but I'm at the point where I can't get any better. I'm gettin sick of gettin tabs off the internet that are completely wrong and wastin my time with that. Do you think that it's worth buying any books or videos. If so which ones? I know the basic stuff so I don't need beginner books. I play by finger and by pick. Or is there another way that I can progress in advancing.

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Get a teacher.

And practice.

There is no real shortcut to excellence, only proven practices and hard work. Good luck, and welcome to TalkBass.

edit: posting the same thing in two different forums is called double posting, and it is a no-no around here. 1st one's free, though.

3. you can also spell it right BASS! a good grammer is way more useful in life then bss.

4. Speaking of good GRAMMER, the word is spelled "grammar"!

5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

that would be "spelled grammar".

Chris A.:rolleyes:

6. HA HA! The wonders of editing.......:D

7. Wait, what about my Gram ma?

8. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    This was actually fine the way it was. Spelt is perfectly legitimate

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Besides getting a teacher, I'd advise you to get into different kinds of music (other than RHCP and Pearl Jam) - just to see what amazing things can be done with the bass, what the truly innovative players can come up with... I don't mean to dis Flea or Ament, they're good bassists but don't hold a candle to Jeff Berlin, Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten and the likes. Of course, if you hate the music, it will be difficult to absorb the ideas it contains... but you could at least give it a try, eh? :)

10. It gives me lessons, transcripts, sound files! Does my laundry, makes me cake and sews the seams of my pants! It keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold, how does it know???

Thanks FatFunker!!

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    try to get a teacher asap

I also recomend that you go to your local music stores and browse the method book/instructional video section untill you find one that suits your liking.