Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How can I get "growl" out of my Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, May 24, 2004.

1. What pickup settings, picking positions, and/or string types give that "growl" I hear a Jazz can get? I'm not sure I have gotten it with my Jazz Bass.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mainly use the Bridge pickup..play near the bridge.

3. Can you give an example of the "growl" we're talking about? Would it work with the bridge pup in series mode? (my pickups are double coil Jazzes with a parallel/series switch each.)

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive never played a jazz bass with the pickups wired differently than stock..but the growl is basically just a throaty roar that gives the bass a slightly dirty tone. Hard to descirbe.

5. I think I know what you mean. I will try it in parallel and series later today, and let you know what it sounds like.

6. Setting up the instrument with low action makes it easier to get the growl.

7. a no brainer, but use roundwound strings, and not flatwounds or even halfwounds. Play close to the bridge and back off the neck p/u a bit. Use a cabinet that uses 10" or 8" (my preference) speakers; as 15s often can't get the upper mids out.

Mark

8. Myamp has a lonely 12" speaker, but I do have lower-mid and upper-mid controls - Would boosting the upper-mids help?

9. Turn off the bridge pickup, neck full, tone to taste. Pick/pluck around the neck pickup. For that "Moving Pictures" sort of Jazz bass sound.

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    did you mean to say "bridge" when you said "neck?"

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yeah the growl is in the bridge pick up imo. Roundwound strings for sure. I usually start with both pick ups full up, pluck the low "E", then turn the blend slowly towards the bridge pick up until I hear that midrange growl pop out. If you have separate neck/bridge volume slowly turn down the neck volume usually abour 85% That way I still get some thump from the neck pick up while getting the growl from the bridge pick up.

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think what everyone has been saying is dead on. Roundwound strings, low action, and favoring the bridge p-up helps you get "growl." I would also say that boosting the gain on your amp and adding a bit of distorsion will help with the growl factor too.

13. Metallideth

Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    does anyone know anty recordings where i could hear this...this sounds exactly what im looking for, and what kind of Jazz basses Mexican or american or is it applicable for both?

14. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    http://parallex.org go to the music page and check out "Anthem". There's an SX SJB-62TM(Jazz bass). Decent growl direct into the board.

15. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Check out "Evil Empire" from Rage Against the Machine.....pure American Jazz Bass growl!!!!!

Edit: My ATK growls very well too!!!!! :hyper:

16. A lot has to do with the angles at which your fingers strike the strings...I've had the most success plucking the strings with the left edges of my index and ring fingers (I'm right-handed). Experiment and listen closely, and you'll get it.

17. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    What is a growl exactly?? Like a bear growl??:rolleyes:

Why don't you try out different settings on your bass instead of asking other people how to play YOUR bass. Do a search about "GROWL" and you will find out that nobody really knows what a growl is.

18. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    By the way, welcome to talkbass:D

19. That growl is unmistakable. You will know it when you hear it and I get it best with my gain up. The whole house growls.

20. -Bridge pickup
    -play while anchoring your thumb on the neck pickup
    -hit the strings aggressivley with lots of downward force

:D I get crazy growl out of my samick tabu, but im gonna try out flatwounds, cause that biaiziatch is realllly active!
    and I disagree with whoever was dissing 15"s in the upper mid stuff, whoever said that has obviousley never heard a Mesa/Boogie Diesel 2x15 cabinet.